Turkey Hens Acting Very Strange

Caesarthegreat

Songster
Aug 13, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi there, my pair of turkey hens are now 9 months old and just recently they've become very strange. They have been extremely loud all throughout the day, "shouting" at me. They both lie down and shake their wings when i approach them and they seem to be eating more food than usual. Could they be getting in the mating position for me? And why have they been increasingly loud? Also one has been very aggresive toward the other turkey recently. Could it be a sign they will start laying eggs soon? I am suprised they haven't started yet...

Many thanks!😀

Your turkey hens are assuming the breeding position. Turkey hens often holler when they are wanting out of their pen so they can seek a laying place.
And if i don't let them out, will they lay their eggs in the coop? I have made a number of laying areas in the coop for them

And if i don't let them out, will they lay their eggs in the coop? I have made a number of laying areas in the coop for them
It depends on how desirable the nest sites are. Just because they look like good nest sites to you does not mean the turkeys think they are,

My hens let themselves out and then holler for me to let them back in. Three of my hens are currently jamming themselves into chicken nest boxes while the other three are all laying in the same hidden nest right beside my house.

It depends on how desirable the nest sites are. Just because they look like good nest sites to you does not mean the turkeys think they are,

My hens let themselves out and then holler for me to let them back in. Three of my hens are currently jamming themselves into chicken nest boxes while the other three are all laying in the same hidden nest right beside my house.
They have 2 nesting areas in the corners of the coops. I took your advice on board, and it is just a board/ wooden pallet leaning against the wall. I will definitely put a couple of fake eggs in the nests. I just can't wait until I get some eggs. I have never had turkey eggs before!

They have 2 nesting areas in the corners of the coops. I took your advice on board, and it is just a board/ wooden pallet leaning against the wall. I will definitely put a couple of fake eggs in the nests. I just can't wait until I get some eggs. I have never had turkey eggs before!
I had been getting 4 eggs a day this past week but yesterday and today I got 5 eggs from a total of 6 hens,

I had been getting 4 eggs a day this past week but yesterday and today I got 5 eggs from a total of 6 hens,
Wow! I only have 2 hens, but I will be the only one eating the eggs so I will be happy with however many I get. I've heard they lay less in their first laying season.

Wow! I only have 2 hens, but I will be the only one eating the eggs so I will be happy with however many I get. I've heard they lay less in their first laying season.
I don't know where you heard that but I have seen no such evidence. I have seen hens over 8 or 9 years old decrease their laying frequency. In younger birds it is an individual thing. Some will lay every other day. Some will lay two days in a row and skip a day. Right now several of mine are laying 3 days in a row before skipping a day.

I am holding my turkey eggs for the incubator. Once I put a batch in the incubator, I will let the hens keep their eggs to hatch themselves.

Back
Top Bottom