Turkey hens fighting

chickndoglover

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Victoria, BC Canada
I know some of this has been covered in other threads but, my turkey hen is 4 years old she has been the only turkey here for 3 years when her sister disappeared. She has been living with my chickens and roosters. I recently found her sister has been living just down the road with a tom and another hen. My hen and her sister are Standard BronzeX Naragansett and so is the Tom and the other hen is a burbon . I really think that my hen needs to be with other turkeys so before anyone has started laying I moved her down to the other home about 1 and half weeks ago. She and her sister have been fighting constantly even though a fence, they have been cutting up each others faces so the new "human mom" has been pulling them apart and she feels they would fight to the death. There is no problem at all with the other 2 turkeys. Do you think that they will work it out or would they seriously hurt or kill each other. I may have to bring her back here if we cant figure out what to do .

The only way to find out is to let them 'have at it', and see if they can resolve who is boss and then coexist or if it will be necessary to keep them separate.

I would monitor them to make sure that did not happen. If they are penned up I would be far more concerned than if they are free range. I have little experience with turkeys, but know that given enough space even roosters can frequently work things out - that is as long as they are not game fowl.

Thanks for the response. The lady that has them is keeping them separate on different sides of the pen and they still stuck their heads through the wire and fought. I think it is going to end up that mine will have to come back here to live. Well it was worth a try. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom