Turkey housing question

New2TheCoop

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Central, LA
I just have a quick question. I am getting 4 broad breasted whites to see how I do with the turkeys, I eventually want to get a few heritage birds if I like raising these. My question is, How big do I make the door on their coop? Would 2 foot by 2 foot work? Or bigger?

I have BBWs and from the size of my hens and toms I would go a bit bigger. My toms wouldn't fit through a 2x2. The hens could fit and would duck down fine, but I would still go at least 3x3. Make sure that the step up isn't going to be too high once they get big it gets pretty hard on their legs otherwise. I've found in the past that ramps for BBW have to be extremely sturdy. What I generally use is some boards of different sizes placed on top of each other to create a simple set of sturdy stairs. Even my monster boys can manage them. Hope you have fun with your turks!

I have BBWs and from the size of my hens and toms I would go a bit bigger. My toms wouldn't fit through a 2x2. The hens could fit and would duck down fine, but I would still go at least 3x3. Make sure that the step up isn't going to be too high once they get big it gets pretty hard on their legs otherwise. I've found in the past that ramps for BBW have to be extremely sturdy. What I generally use is some boards of different sizes placed on top of each other to create a simple set of sturdy stairs. Even my monster boys can manage them. Hope you have fun with your turks!

Cool thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom