Turkey housing?

morganalefae

Head nut at the nut house
6 Years
May 2, 2017
Leicestershire UK
Ok last night I spotted 4 turkey eggs for sale online and took the chance on them and put in a bid, I won. I know places that sell turkey feed I know I might be able to let them free range with my chickens (I have not heard of blackhead issues in my area).

But I'm confused on their housing some have a lean to others have a full blown house for them.
I live in the UK this year has been quite cold (well to me I'm orginally from cali) but I want to make sure they will have what they need til the time I process them myself.

also any turkey keeping tips would be great and much appreciated!

Turkey raising tip:

Feed them.

That is it.

After they are 6 weeks old they will not need a heat source. They will need to be kept protected from predators until they are 3/4 grown, (around 3-4 months) from then on they do not even need a building. I have to train mine to go into a building. I occasionally have to fight them to get them inside. They prefer to be outside. They can fly quite well and will roost high up in the trees..

Now if they a BB and not heritage it could be another story. They cannot fly.

Turkey raising tip:

Feed them.

That is it.

After they are 6 weeks old they will not need a heat source. They will need to be kept protected from predators until they are 3/4 grown, (around 3-4 months) from then on they do not even need a building. I have to train mine to go into a building. I occasionally have to fight them to get them inside. They prefer to be outside. They can fly quite well and will roost high up in the trees..

Now if they a BB and not heritage it could be another story. They cannot fly.

BB? also the turkey eggs I bought were listed as bourbon I read the males can get to 33lbs and female I think said 17-20lbs is that right?
Would a open face lean to with roosts be fine for them then?

BB? also the turkey eggs I bought were listed as bourbon I read the males can get to 33lbs and female I think said 17-20lbs is that right?
Would a open face lean to with roosts be fine for them then?

When they are older, yes.

BB broad breasted....

I have never heard of a bourbon red BB so you might be okay with yours..... Join us on

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-century-of-turkey-talk-2000-2100.966414/page-1998

A lot of people on their and they all like and know a whole bunch about turkeys..... You will too.

Everyone I know that has a turkey if forced to chose between turkeys and chickens would keep the turkeys.

When they are older, yes.

BB broad breasted....

I have never heard of a bourbon red BB so you might be okay with yours..... Join us on

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-century-of-turkey-talk-2000-2100.966414/page-1998

A lot of people on their and they all like and know a whole bunch about turkeys..... You will too.

Everyone I know that has a turkey if forced to chose between turkeys and chickens would keep the turkeys.
Well I like my chickens, turkeys are going to be a one off (maybe) lol. and thank you I'll take a look at the thread!

I agree. Remember the humble wild turkey is native to North America. They can withstand quite cold temperatures, and are smaller than domestic turkeys. Just know they will try and roost in the trees like previously stated. Good luck and have fun!

I agree. Remember the humble wild turkey is native to North America. They can withstand quite cold temperatures, and are smaller than domestic turkeys. Just know they will try and roost in the trees like previously stated. Good luck and have fun!

Mine are sitting on an outdoor roost even in this snow and wind event.

holy hell really?
full

Back
Top Bottom