Turkey housing

Canuck88

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
BC
I’m hoping to add (heritage) turkeys to the farm next year and have been researching the best type of housing for them. I would love to hear your opinions so that I can start planning what to build!

Ideally I would like to have a Tom with a couple of hens year round, for breeding. And then raise the poults for turkey dinners.

We build a shed, with a large run. They are fairly simple for housing. They will mostly roost in the shed. We keep feed inside too so it stays dry. Our run is 4 foot welded wire. Sometimes one occasionally flies out. They get a wing clipped for it to keep them in.

We build a shed, with a large run. They are fairly simple for housing. They will mostly roost in the shed. We keep feed inside too so it stays dry. Our run is 4 foot welded wire. Sometimes one occasionally flies out. They get a wing clipped for it to keep them in.
Thank you! Do you have any problems with predators getting into the run?

Thank you! Do you have any problems with predators getting into the run?
We didn't until this year. I usually let broody hens sit out on their nests at the end of the run if they wish. The run is about 25 feet wide by 125 feet long. This year I lost 3. 2 to a owl I believe, the other to a Fox I believe. Our run is lined with railroad ties, but our fence has become lose a bit as it does every year from frost heaving in the spring, and we were lax in repairs because we haven't had any problems in all the years we have had turkeys.

The pop door to the shed is always kept open. Nothing has gone into it to get a turkey. It was all opportune predation on birds out in the open mostly.

Mine too, 4ft welded wire, i have a hen that flys over to me at the feed can some days, then I set her back over. It's funny, they can get over, they just don't.

They fly much better than chickens, especially when they are young. I keep my grow up pens covered with some light netting to keep them safely contained.

I am getting 2 Red Burbon turkeys is about a month. I was going to keep them in my chicken yard but would rather put them in my big poultry yard 60' x 60'. I am in the process of building their home. My question is, my hen house has a wooden floor. DO all of you keep your birds on wood floor or dirt floor?

I am getting 2 Bourbon Red turkeys is about a month. I was going to keep them in my chicken yard but would rather put them in my big poultry yard 60' x 60'. I am in the process of building their home. My question is, my hen house has a wooden floor. DO all of you keep your birds on wood floor or dirt floor?
I live on a sand dune. All my coops are built right on the ground (sand).

If blackhead is an issue where you live, keeping turkeys and chickens together can be a death sentence to the turkeys. Blackhead is not an issue everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom