Turkey injured from chicken

DesertPollos

Chirping
Dec 19, 2020
I integrated my new broad breasted white into my chicken flock (all hens) last week. I have 10 hens. The turkey is a girl too. Getting along was great the first several days, but now they’ve turned on her. Her wing was injured yesterday and she has a few bloody peck marks on her neck. Is this injury serious? Anything i can do to help her? Also, she seems very intent with still staying with the flock, sometimes chirping to be with them, but clearly she will have to sleep out of coop for now. Any advice ? Help on the injury?
FE8889F8-B88E-44DE-865A-6B2058CA4347.jpeg
39FE5781-F633-46BB-9ADB-01C5C2049C4D.jpeg
17E121E0-A0D5-4DAF-A713-2EEC76111B25.jpeg

Hard to see the injury. Could it be a broken blood feather that needs to pulled?

Do you see the chickens causing the injury or are they just pecking at the wounds? Chickens are very much attracted to blood.

I would clean up the wound, access it - if there's a feather that needs to be pulled, then use a pair of pliers to get it out. It may bleed for a little while, but should stop. Flush/clean it, then apply a little triple antibiotic ointment.

Not sure what the neck looks like, but you can treat any wounds the same as above.

Do you have a way to section off a portion of run/coop so she can be near the flock so she's a little happier?

Agree with Wyorp Rock, birds are social so seeing them may help her feel less lonely even if it's temporary until the red is gone. They tend to want to peck at blood not even to fight or pull rank it's just a chicken quirk. They get really fired up the more blood there is so it's great you caught it early and can intervene a little to help stem the blood and wound appearance. I don't know if you need to worry about wrapping it if you get ointment on it and clean it like Wyorp suggested it should heal up fine. It's not a massive wound.

Thank you ! The more I’m thinking about it , I wonder if it wasn’t an issue with the roost in the chicken coop. It’s pretty narrow and she’s bigger and more bumbly than the chickens and could’ve snagged it on the wood. I didn’t plan the coop for a turkey and it might be too narrow. I did wipe the wound with antibiotic and I’ll apply ointment. I’ve seen the chickens being a little feisty with her but honestly haven’t seen them viciously attack her enough to damage her wing this way. They free range during day and don’t really interact other than to rest in the shade together. Tonight I’ll keep her out of the coop but abut a roost that will rise almost to the level of the other chickens. Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I wanted to give this turkey a happier life since it will probably not be a super long one .

Thank you ! The more I’m thinking about it , I wonder if it wasn’t an issue with the roost in the chicken coop. It’s pretty narrow and she’s bigger and more bumbly than the chickens and could’ve snagged it on the wood. I didn’t plan the coop for a turkey and it might be too narrow. I did wipe the wound with antibiotic and I’ll apply ointment. I’ve seen the chickens being a little feisty with her but honestly haven’t seen them viciously attack her enough to damage her wing this way. They free range during day and don’t really interact other than to rest in the shade together. Tonight I’ll keep her out of the coop but abut a roost that will rise almost to the level of the other chickens. Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I wanted to give this turkey a happier life since it will probably not be a super long one .
Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom