Turkey is sitting on eggs,Have Baby Chick,turkey and phesant ?

Joe.G

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
Eastern NY
My Royal palm is sitting on 8 Turkey eggs, and 6 Chicken Eggs and a Duck Egg, If and when they hatch I need some help on what to do with them, Can I keep them together? Do I let Turkey mom keep them? What do I feed them? any and all info would be great. Do I feed baby pheseant the same food? Turkey grower medicated?

My Royal palm is sitting on 8 Turkey eggs - 28 days for turkey eggs to hatch

and 6 Chicken Eggs - 21 days for chicken eggs to hatch (keep an eye on them around hatch day and take them from her immediately until all other eggs have hatched. May be difficult to place them back with her and the others because they will be at least 7 days old. She may or may not accept them as her own at 7 days old. You can still try.)

and a Duck Egg, (what breed duck? my scovies hatch in 30 days)

If and when they hatch I need some help on what to do with them,

Can I keep them together? Well yes and no. You may have some feeding issues. Turkeys will need a VERY high protein. Chickens do not need as high protein feed as turkeys. Ducklings do not need as high protein as turkeys. Ducklings could possibly get angel wing if fed too high protein. As the ducklings get older they will get messier due to them needing water to dunk their heads in. You do not want the baby poults or chicks getting wet because they can get cold and die.

Do I let Turkey mom keep them? If she is away from other adult animals in a closed pen.

What do I feed them? Turkeys - 20 - 30% protein crumble
Chickens - minimum of 16% protein crumble
Ducks - minimum of 16% protein crumble - no higher

any and all info would be great.

Do I feed baby pheseant the same food? Phesants can get a high protein feed.

Turkey grower medicated? I am not a fan of medicated feed. I feed game bird feed to my poults

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

You are gonna be busy. Good Luck with that.

I have the Tom and Hen in a closed pen together, She just started sitting two day's ago. She started to sit on 8 Eggs so I figured why not throw some chicken eggs in there, I picked out a Green,blue,dark brown,light brown and two white chicken eggs, and someone gave me a duck egg, all I know is it was a white duck.

I have 50 Pheasants coming on may 7th, part of the NYS DEC Release Program.
This is going to be a bit much all at once.

My Royal palm is sitting on 8 Turkey eggs, and 6 Chicken Eggs and a Duck Egg, If and when they hatch I need some help on what to do with them, Can I keep them together? Do I let Turkey mom keep them? What do I feed them? any and all info would be great. Do I feed baby pheseant the same food? Turkey grower medicated?
Part depends on when the chicken eggs and pheasant eggs were added to the nest. Chicken eggs hatch at 21 days and pheasant eggs hatch at 22-25 days while the turkey eggs hatch at 28 days.

My guess is that if you don't lremove the chicks as they hatch that the hen will leave the nest before the duck and turkey eggs hatch. I would place the chicks in a brooder as soon as I could remove them from the nest. The pheasant chicks and the turkey poults do fine on the high % protein available in turkey or gamebird starter. In my experience, high % protein feed will not hurt the chcikens.

I have seen it recommended to not use medicated food for ducklings. I have also read of an instance that a turkey hen upon seeing the ducklings hatch abandoned the nest. I did have a BBB hen that hatched two goose eggs for me. The first one got stepped on by her and was found squashed. The second one also got stepped on but I managed to rescue it.

Giving a variety of eggs to a broody chicken is one thing. I don't recommend doing the same with a broody turkey. I also don't recommend mixing in eggs that require different lengths of incubation.

Pheseants are coming as day old chicks, the chicken eggs were added about three days into her sitting.

Pheseants are coming as day old chicks, the chicken eggs were added about three days into her sitting.
Sorry for my misunderstanding. The chicken eggs can still become a problem by hatching 4 days earlier than the turkey eggs. I would remove the chicks once they are hatched to encourage the hen to continue sitting on the turkey eggs.

Good luck.

Should I pull out the chicken eggs today or tom and add new ones, I have plenty of fresh ones. Id Rather hatch out Turkeys then Chickens.

Should I pull out the chicken eggs today or tom and add new ones, I have plenty of fresh ones. Id Rather hatch out Turkeys then Chickens.
For now I would leave her and her nest alone. When the chicken eggs hatch, move the chicks to a brooder. This will encourage the hen to keep sitting on the turkey eggs that will be due to hatch four days later.

The more you keep messing with her nest, the less likely you will be able to get anything to hatch.

Good luck.

Ok this is all new to me, I here people all thetime say when something goes broody they keep stuffing eggs under them.

I would worry about you being able to get the chickens out in time. You will really have to watch the nest closely. When the chickens first hatch, they will remain under the hens. If you are not careful, the first time you see the chicks might be when the turkey mom is taking them for a walk. At that point, the nest is abandoned.

If I was in that position, i would pull the chicken eggs out right away. The risk to the turkey eggs is just too high IMO. By the way, the turkey hen will probably not be as easy to get eggs away from as a chicken is
big_smile.png
. I think my grammar went bad there for a minute.

Back
Top Bottom