Turkey keeps going limp

Elfie4306

Chirping
Mar 23, 2020
Maine
Ok so my tom has been through some stuff. It started when he was attacked by our dog. I think he should have died then. But my mom stitched him up and kept him in a dog crate for a few days. This was in February, and his wound has still not healed. He got better for a while and was standing so we opened his crate. So he was able to go out into the run with his hen.

Well we checked on him every half hour or so, and found the hen like pecking his head. Like she was drawing blood. So we let him free range for a few weeks. After the head thing, he couldn't walk. His body was all sideways and he didn't have any balance. But he still got better again and his body was even straightening out.

A few weeks later, we noticed him limping. We checked on his stitches, they had not held up and there was some black crusty stuff around it. After limping for a few days he couldn't walk so we separated him again and but some antibiotics in his water. When we were checking on his stitches I definitely thought he was going to die this time. He couldn't hold his head up, wasn't eating, had severe diarrhea, (even for birds). But he got better again, this was around the end of March by now, and nothing was happening with him until now. His wound however did start smelling bad, and was sort of squishy.

Ok, so he started limping again a few days ago, so we put some more antibiotics in his water. It started subsiding a bit, but now today we had to pick him up of the ground and he smells awful. I think we need to put him down, honestly I think we should have put him down a while ago, but we are very attached to this turkey. I just want to know what is happening, and if there is anything we can do for him. I'd prefer we didn't put him down.

Broad breasted means it's a big meat turkey. They come in white and bronze.

What are you feeding? What was he raised on? Turkeys generally are good about healing up wounds. If it's infected he may need different antibiotics.

Broad breasted means it's a big meat turkey. They come in white and bronze.

What are you feeding? What was he raised on? Turkeys generally are good about healing up wounds. If it's infected he may need different antibiotics.
We feed him Home Fresh multiflock by blue seal

So he's getting a decent diet, so his problems are probably not from any sort of deficiencies.

Have you checked his feet for sores?

Only you can tell for sure if it's time to put him down.

So he's getting a decent diet, so his problems are probably not from any sort of deficiencies.

Have you checked his feet for sores?

Only you can tell for sure if it's time to put him down.
There's no sores, but I did get some pictures, but they're pretty gross, I'll only post them if you think you can either handle it or think it would help.

Back
Top Bottom