Turkey laid her first egg but wont stand up now...

Gmschofer

Hatching
Mar 31, 2018
Hello,

We have had our turkey for about 10 months now and she laid an egg this morning. She seemed fine after for a while then my daughter said she now will not stand up and she is acting like she is going to lay another egg. Is this okay to lay two eggs so close together? And is it normal that she doesn't want to stand up? She is eating and drinking but has had a lot of poop and or other fluids come out of her.

Hello,

We have had our turkey for about 10 months now and she laid an egg this morning. She seemed fine after for a while then my daughter said she now will not stand up and she is acting like she is going to lay another egg. Is this okay to lay two eggs so close together? And is it normal that she doesn't want to stand up? She is eating and drinking but has had a lot of poop and or other fluids come out of her.
It is not normal for a turkey to lay more than one egg in about a 26 hour period. It is normal for a hen turkey in breeding and laying season to "assume" the breeding position as she allows a tom to breed her. The breeding position is when a hen lays in one spot and may spread her wings out slightly so that a tom can step up on her back in order to begin the breeding session.

Thank you for the response, she may have had the first egg yesterday and about to have her second today. We were not home from 3pm yesterday. So we found the egg this morning. So does the not standing up seem normal?

It is not normal for a turkey to lay more than one egg in about a 26 hour period. It is normal for a hen turkey in breeding and laying season to "assume" the breeding position as she allows a tom to breed her. The breeding position is when a hen lays in one spot and may spread her wings out slightly so that a tom can step up on her back in order to begin the breeding session.
Thank you for the information, now that I think about it we left her yesterday at 3pm and didn't check her until this morning so she may have laid the first egg yesterday and she is working on laying a second egg today. I am just worried that she won't stand up. But she is eating and drinking. We just started giving her some oyster shells mixed with her food today. Just found out about that.

Thank you for the information, now that I think about it we left her yesterday at 3pm and didn't check her until this morning so she may have laid the first egg yesterday and she is working on laying a second egg today. I am just worried that she won't stand up. But she is eating and drinking. We just started giving her some oyster shells mixed with her food today. Just found out about that.
Do not mix the oyster shell with her food. Provide it separately. It is supposed to be a free choice offering so that she can help herself to it as she feels the need.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom