Turkey mating my hen.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NCchickmom, Dec 9, 2013.

1. NCchickmom

NCchickmom New Egg

Apr 19, 2013
    Ok so I have been noticing that my hens eggs are fertilized. I do have a silky Roo but he isn't old enough to mate. I separated him from the rest of my flock 2 weeks ago and their eggs are still being fertilized. I was just out at my run and saw my turkey mating one of my hens (I didn't even know this was possible) with that being said, has anyone ever hatched an egg crossed between the two?.

2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    I've seen like 2. Ever. You can try to incubate a few but i wouldnt let your tom mate your chicken. he can seriously injure her.

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I wouldn't let the Tom near the chicken hens either. He could hurt or kill them trying to mate. How old is the silkiie roo? Hens can stay fertile for up to 3 weeks I believe so if the silkie mated them he is probably the likely culprit.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    they can stay fertile for even longer than 3 weeks.I would seperate your tom. He could injure your hen considering the size difference between a turkey and a chicken. I highly suspect that the silkie was the one to fertilize the eggs. But out of curiosity I would hatch the eggs.

5. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Sebrights are known to not have that high of a fertility rate, but at 12.5 weeks my sebright roo was fertilizing eggs left and right!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by