Turkey mating my hen.

NCchickmom

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
Ok so I have been noticing that my hens eggs are fertilized. I do have a silky Roo but he isn't old enough to mate. I separated him from the rest of my flock 2 weeks ago and their eggs are still being fertilized. I was just out at my run and saw my turkey mating one of my hens (I didn't even know this was possible) with that being said, has anyone ever hatched an egg crossed between the two?.

I wouldn't let the Tom near the chicken hens either. He could hurt or kill them trying to mate. How old is the silkiie roo? Hens can stay fertile for up to 3 weeks I believe so if the silkie mated them he is probably the likely culprit.

I wouldn't let the Tom near the chicken hens either. He could hurt or kill them trying to mate. How old is the silkiie roo? Hens can stay fertile for up to 3 weeks I believe so if the silkie mated them he is probably the likely culprit.
they can stay fertile for even longer than 3 weeks.I would seperate your tom. He could injure your hen considering the size difference between a turkey and a chicken. I highly suspect that the silkie was the one to fertilize the eggs. But out of curiosity I would hatch the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom