Turkey mating my hen.

NCchickmom

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
Ok so I have been noticing that my hens eggs are fertilized. I do have a silky Roo but he isn't old enough to mate. I separated him from the rest of my flock 2 weeks ago and their eggs are still being fertilized. I was just out at my run and saw my turkey mating one of my hens (I didn't even know this was possible) with that being said, has anyone ever hatched an egg crossed between the two?.

I'm not certain of the viability of such eggs, but would be quite concerned about the possibility of injury to the hens from the much larger gobbler.

welcome-byc.gif

What criteria are you using to determine fertility?

I'd also be quite concerned about a tom mating hens. It's resulted in injured hens.

Well, apparently it IS possible...

http://www.messybeast.com/genetics/hybrid-birds.htm

"TURKEY-CHICKEN HYBRIDS

There have been attempted crosses between domestic turkeys (Meleagris gallapavo) and chickens (Warren and Scott, 1935). According to Gray (1958) in 12 studies no hybrids hatched. Other reports found only a few fertile eggs were produced and very few resulted in advance embryos (Ogorodii, 1935; Quinn et al. 1937; Asmundson & Lorenz, 1957). According to Olsen (1960), 23 hybrids were obtained from 302 embryos which resulted from 2132 eggs. Dark Cornish cockerels and Rhode Island Red cockerels successfully fertilised turkey eggs. Harada & Buss (1981) reported hybridisation experiments between Beltsville Small White Turkeys and two strains of chickens. When male chickens inseminated female turkeys, both male and female embryos form, but the males are much less viable and usually die in the early stages of development. When male turkeys inseminated female chickens, no hybrids resulted although the unfertilised chicken eggs began to divide. According to Olson (1960) turkey-chicken crosses produced all males.
MW Olsen, US Dept of Agriculture, successfully bred turkey x chicken hybrids from Beltsville Small White turkey hens artificially inseminated with semen from Dark Cornish male chickens. Morphological evidence of the hybrid status of the birds (Olsen, M. W., J. Heredity, 51, 69 (1960)) included the fact that the adult hybrids' dark plumage resembled that of the chicken, being dominant over the recessive white colour of the turkeys. Serological studies on their red cells also provided evidence of the birds being hybrids.
It appears that turkey sperm cannot fertilise chicken eggs, but can trigger cell division in unfertilised eggs. Reports of natural hybrids between female chickens (including bantams) and male domestic or wild turkeys are anecdotal and not supported by DNA studies. Where unusual chicks have occurred, it is most likely to be due to recessive genes in the parents (or possibly to hybridising with guinea fowl or wild pheasants)."

Hi all I just caught my chocolate turkey tom trying to breed one of my dark brahma hens . Should i separate them ? they where hatched by my old hen so wondering if thats why ?

Back
Top Bottom