Turkey mating question

Quote:
I'll be right there asking lots of questions myself. This is my first year raising turkeys; mine haven't yet reached maturity.

Longranger, thanks for starting this thread!

Your welcome chancerider. I am totally green on breeding my own turkeys too so everyones questions and answers are new info to me.

Unless I hear otherwise I was planning to put 1 tom with 2 or 3 hens or maybe 2 toms with 4 hens if the pecking order is set solid. Have mainly been concerned about Toms fighting for breeding rights. May be taking hen on hen aggresion way too lightly. More info please. MOOOOOOOORE!!!

1 tom to 2 or 3 hens or 2 to 4 will be fine.

We keep 3 or 4 toms to about 8 or 10 hens but even that varies. If we are growing some out there can be 3 year old toms and hens and yearling toms and hens all together in one area. If they are overcrowded it will lead to problems sooner or later, give them plenty of room and they will take care of the rest.

Steve in NC

Quote:
I agree...I just moved some of my turkeys into their "winter" arrangments, royal palms,beltsville whites, and some BBwhites...The first thing that happened? All the toms strutted and drummed, hissed and knocked each other around; while thw hens stayed out of the way. Several of the hens "laid down" I guess in-wait, A tom would climb onto her and the rest of the toms tried to knock him off, turkey king of the mountain I guess....The hen had the choice to "be ready" but that was the only choice I could see but after a tom was sucessful she hurried off somewhere out of sight....I tried to get some pictures of all the drama but failed....maybe later today....Incidently the BBwhites just stood around wondering what all the fuss was about and upset that they had to get up and move away from the feeders.

Back
Top Bottom