Turkey nails

laturcotte1

Songster
9 Years
May 22, 2010
I have a turkey that spent his first winter with us. We are in Massachusetts and had a lot of snow, ice and wet weather. He hated it and the only place close to outside he would go was to his pop door. All winter he stayed inside. Come the nice weather his nails have grown reallllly long. I can't get a vet to come out and I don't have anything to carry him in. How do I trim these nails! I try to get him outside now and he can hardly walk. Help!

Do you have any dog nail clippers? You can also use a regular toe nail clipper.
If you don't have dog nail clippers (and i hope you have toe nail clippers) and the toe nail clippers don't work, I'd just use a knife, but make sure you don't cut them too short or it will hit his nervous system, resulting in a lot of pain and blood. If you don't have any of those, my next suggestion would be (and this is if you have nothing else to do/use and it is a big problem), sand paper them, and if THAT doesn't work, idk how to help you.

Thank you sooo much. I guess I'm just nervous because he literally doesn't like to be touched. Guess I'll in-list a strong young one to hold him down and clip away. Poor guy.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom