turkey nest box?

aeropaw

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
I am new to turkey raising and can't find any plans on how to build a nest box. Ineed to know size,shape and all of the above some pics would be nice. she has already started laying on the floor! help please thank you aeropaw

When my gals started laying....they picked a corner of thier coop. I took a large piece of playwood, and leaned it over the corner...tacking it to the wall. They ran straight to it, and started laying. You can also use a 55 gallon drum, clean of course....fill it with straw. Or a large ( really large) dog house. Hope this helps!

My silver is currently setting on 13 eggs. I built a box 24" square with a 1x4 at the bottom to keep eggs from rolling out. She seems very content with the setup.

The whole box is inside an 6x6 coop where she is by herself.

Michael

Mine seemed to pick the most inaccessible spot in the run to lay her eggs... behind the rabbit hutch, where I had to crawl on my hands and knees to reach in and get it.
lol.png

Most turkeys dont use boxes like you would think.
They prefer to dig a hole in a secluded location and lay in the ground.
You can try a simple hen sized box. Nothing special. just slightly bigger that your hens.
I have 1 hen out of nearly 30 that will on occasion use one. So you are probably wasting time on it.
Here's what I do.
If they are penned, I take tree and shrub trimming and make a large pile in one corner on the pen, or yard, leafy er the better, and larger the pile the better.
They will go into the center, scratch out a wallow and make their nest in it.
Works every time!
Aubrey

Last edited:
My turkeys must be the exception to the rule... they lay in the same nest boxes as the chickens. Kind of funny to see them sitting in there, because their tails have to hang outside the box. From time to time they also lay on the ground, although no place in particular.

Kathy in Texas

Quote:
Do you think balsam boughs from the xmas tree farm next door would work? Here in New England, any other trimmings this time of year are sticks! I just wonder if the pine would be too strongly scented. I have turkeys in a pen laying in a corner, too. Was gonna build next boxes this weekend, but now think I like the brush pile idea.

No they wont mind.
They actually have a very poor sense of smell anyway.
Any form of brush or debris works great, makes them feel hiden and secure, a throw back to their wild days.
Aubrey

Back
Top Bottom