Turkey Newbie Questions PICS ADDED

Hotttmommi

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Paulding County Georgia
I have two "white turkeys" I got them from TSC, (I know what was i thinking LOL) all they could tell me is they are "white" tutkeys (well duh) and they are straight run, and "probably from new mexico cause thats where our chicks came from" They are between 3 and 4 weeks old i cant remember what day i got them. When should i be able to tell what sex they are? Or a more precise breed? Thanks for any help this is my first time with turkeys. They were supposed to be Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner but they have turned into pets. And do they need a roost?

28096_035.jpg

28096_036.jpg

28096_037.jpg

28096_038.jpg

not the best pics they dont exactly pose

Last edited:
Sounds like they might be Broad Breasted Whites, those are what I got when I was a turkey newbie last year. I'm still a turkey newbie. If they are in fact BBW's they are going to grow very fast. My poults turned out to be a tom and a hen. I limited their food after reading on this forum that I ended up with meat birds. They ate a lot. I loved them. I ended up losing my tom, I think he just got to big and his body gave out. I still have my hen but I worry all the time that her body is going to give out because she isn't "supposed to live long".

IF they are BBW's they will get to big to roost.

Last edited:
They look like the BBWs we got at Atwoods 3 weeks ago. We found out we had 3 toms and 1 hen saturday morning. The toms started struting and gobbling, it was too funny.
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom