turkey picture

ricky bamboo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
Roseville, Ontario.
15298_sept_2008_047b.jpg

I'm a first time turkey rancher, and i'm trying to figure out if i have boys or girls . One of the birds has a redder neck and head than the other three (bottom middle i think). Is this a good indicator?
They are about 10 weeks in this picture. I thought they would look bigger by now, but all in good time I guess?
How much feed should they eat per day? I feed them 15% grower and they also have free range of the yard (and patio and pool - one fell in). None have shown much interest in scratch or table scraps like the chickens. Weird? Any fattening up ideas?

Last edited:
Not sure what breed they are from looking,

But male usually get blue faces as they grow older. Females stay red for the most part.

The snoods look short in the picture. A male can extend and shorter theirs as they get older. Females don't.

The one in the forground kind of looks male the other kind of look female. But it's kind of hard at 10 weeks. around 15 to 18 it's much easier.

Tom

Those are the same kind that I've got, and the guy sold them to me as Giant Whites.

I had the same problem with my turkey's, they werent getting much bigger on the 16% grower feed that I was using, so I switched over to a 22% layer protien, they love it, and I love how big they are getting. Im estimating a weight over over 40 lbs by thanksgiving.

If those are bb whites, you'll want them on a 24-28% protein feed not only for being able to put on weight, but also for the sake of their legs which can give out on them if they don't have enough protein. I did 28% for the first 3 months, then down to 22% for the last two months with a pair of broad breasted bronze. 30 and 32 lbs on the table. About 40 alive. My boys started to strut at 5-6 weeks old and their snoods got their extending contracting abilities at about 3 months or so?

Our BB bronze were strutting a chicks, was very funny to watch. The great White's we bad got a bad start. We used 22% wild game starter/grower and two of the white's had leg problems and we lost them. One of our BB bronze had leg problems had we butchered it earily We didn't learn to use vitemans supplements in there water till it was to late.

A slow start or supplements , helps get then through the first 4 to 6 weeks, so it's a good thing you tarted them on what you did.

At 21 weeks our BB bronze and 1 white, were the last big turkeys we butchered, they ranged from 25 to 29 pounds dressed.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies!
I bought them some 22% grower and will keep them on this until 'the end'. Their legs all seem to be strong, although they look a little awkward walking around, but i think that is just the way they walk.
They are all free ranged, but a neighbour suggested they should be penned up if I want to get 'em fat.
This snood extrusion talk is all very interesting too! I had no idea!

I don't know what kind or what sex, don't have any turkeys, but I love the picture of them I have to say that must be a jolly ol chap sitting in that chair, all he needs is to cross his legs and smoke a pipe.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom