Turkey Plucking

The taste of Rangers is great, it has a good fresh chicken flavor and great broth that isn't all washed out.. Nice plump birds with the yellowish skin. You are correct that the motor is a farm motor from tractor supply.the idler arm pulley and the 2.5" came from them as well. my barrel was smaller than his but worked just fine.
Oh good! I guess I'll give them a try and see how it goes!
Thank you both, that was very helpful. What size motor is that you have? I am trying to do this as cost effectively as I can, read that as broke! I have two industrial sewing machine motors here, one is 1/2hp, the other 1/3hp. Too much, too little? I still like the idea of the tractor PTO, and at an idle speed, that may not be too bad of an idea. As for a scalder, I can rig something up there with no problem. Have quite a few Coleman stoves that could be used to heat the water and maintain the temps. The neighbor boy who is just 14 and is interested in being able to live off the grid, has promised he would help me do the butchering. Big, strong boy, that is willing to learn new things and he has butchered wild turkeys, albeit by skinning. Now, if the hormones will just hold off, and some girl doesn't turn his head between now and then, I'll be in luck to have his help!
gig.gif
Okay....can't find my book so I'm doing this off the top of my head. The motor should run at 1750 rpms. The motor needs torque more than speed. Check out the Yahoo group. There are a lot of people on there who have come up with amazing things and you will find the different motors that have been used as well as the proper pulleys for the different motor speeds.

Me, I had grand ideas of using what I had to build mine, but in the end, for ease of build and time, I decided to purchase the Whizbang kit. My husband isn't very mechanically inclined so it falls on me to do it all. It's not cheap going this route, but since I have too many irons in the fire as it is, it was the smartest thing to do.

Another thing I have come across and am going to throw together is a scalder using a plastic barrel. I am not sure if it was on BYC or not. You need a 110 v lower element for an electric hot water heater and the thermostat. This way it keeps the temperature for you. May not be cost effective for just a few birds but if you're doing 20, 30, or more....yeah, it would be worth it. With a plucker everything moves fast. You no sooner put the birds into it, then you are taking them out. If you're playing around with the water temp. trying to keep it right, it slows it down considerably. [experience, lol]

One other thing to think about. If you can find the patterns for killing cones, make some or you can buy them at HD. Oh does this make life easy! I'm trying to figure out what to use for these turkeys! Maybe a small metal trash can....I have not seen cones big enough to handle what I have.

There is a killing cone blue print in the back of the Whizbang book. In another thread on this site someone suggested using a feed bag for a cone and it worked well. I used the feather plate and stuff pre made just to keep it simple. No way could I drill 72, 3/4" holes in an aluminum plate, the drill would take my hand off or spin the pate and try to break something. As far as electric motors you need a 3/4 hp farm motor for the torque as Haunted 55 said. Next Turkey is going to be injected with wine and deep fried,

SOrry if I am repeating . . .

I have used this techniuqes with good luck on chickens. Very easy. I have two turkeys to try in on by Christmas.

Lay out a grain bag, pull wings back over the back and stand on the feathers with left foot, ; PUt the legs under right foot. PUll back head and cut jugular with SHARP knife.

I'm thinking this may not work on a big bird like a turkey. What do you all think? I have to do the killing by myself. ( NO one will help with this step.)

Hi Arielle,

Don't know how well that method would work with a really big bird, that is if I am envisioning what you are saying correctly. Sounds like I may very well end up on my arse or slitting my own throat in the process!
gig.gif

There is a killing cone blue print in the back of the Whizbang book. In another thread on this site someone suggested using a feed bag for a cone and it worked well. I used the feather plate and stuff pre made just to keep it simple. No way could I drill 72, 3/4" holes in an aluminum plate, the drill would take my hand off or spin the pate and try to break something. As far as electric motors you need a 3/4 hp farm motor for the torque as Haunted 55 said. Next Turkey is going to be injected with wine and deep fried,
Really, a 3/4hp motor? That's got to be a bit spendy. I'm still toying with the tractor PTO idea. I could gear it down if I had to with additonal pulleys. At an idle speed, it would not spin very fast, but the torque would sure be there. Please be sure to let us know how that wine injected bird comes out! That sounds very interesting.

Hi Arielle,

Don't know how well that method would work with a really big bird, that is if I am envisioning what you are saying correctly. Sounds like I may very well end up on my arse or slitting my own throat in the process!
gig.gif
lau.gif
Could be!!!

I haven't tried the method with a turkey yet. I envisioned the same events you mentioned when I was writing the post!!

You could use a pto so long as the rpms came out right. Ive done the wine injected fried Turkey before and everyone loves it, almost did it for Thanksgiving but this was our first bird so I went the traditional route. For Turkey you do remove the talons so it fits in a plucker. This 24 lb dressed bird was fine in a plucker

Wine and deep fried? Oh you just stop that now!!! Oh wow, what an awesome idea!!!! I have this fantastic cranberry wine I made.....oh...yes!

I've got the book and have looked at the plans. Husband's a tin knocker but trying to get him to do it....... That's why I bought the Shebang kit. The only way to get those holes right would be with a drill press and probably a couple of bits. Did you build the puller for your fingers? I'm going to have to as my hands are pretty much shot from working out in the cold the last few days. I can't even pick a dime up right now, lol.

Wine and deep fried? Oh you just stop that now!!! Oh wow, what an awesome idea!!!! I have this fantastic cranberry wine I made.....oh...yes!

I've got the book and have looked at the plans. Husband's a tin knocker but trying to get him to do it....... That's why I bought the Shebang kit. The only way to get those holes right would be with a drill press and probably a couple of bits. Did you build the puller for your fingers? I'm going to have to as my hands are pretty much shot from working out in the cold the last few days. I can't even pick a dime up right now, lol.
When do we eat?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom