Turkey Plucking

3 NH reds

Songster
9 Years
Dec 5, 2011
Western Mass
Last night was the night to process one of our birds . It was getting dark out and all the birds go to the elevated run to sleep and I have only the door from the coop to the run to get at them, They were all outside and I had to call and call to get them in, the large Tom stayed out in the run and he was spared. I set up the Whizbang plucker I just built and a scalding pot. After a good scald I put the bird in the plucker and the feathers flew off. I had to turn the Tom a few times and it finally flopped around on its own, my Wife was spraying it with hot water with a hose from our set tub the whole time . In about 60 seconds it was clean. It may have been less but thee light was poor and kept shutting off on us. The Tom was clean except for the flight feathers and a some other random wing feathers. This bird was 22 lbs cleaned. I had removed the feet so it would sit in the tub better and the next time I will take off the wings. Building a plucker was a great idea, my Wife could not believe how fast the feathers came off.

I have 3 plucker's one is my son that one doesn't work so well the others are my left hand and my right hand.
Must be nice to have a automatic plucker of course I don't have enough birds to make it worth buying one or the time building one.

Last edited:
For me it's worth it, as my hands just don't work they way they used to. The pluckers are awesome and after the initial cost, the time saved is worth every penny spent. Now all I have to do is finish mine, lol. I'm kinda stumped with finger placement as I bought the plastic to make the barrel. I have everything except the time to do that.

In my case it was a project that was waiting for me to just do it. 8 Turkey and I am slow plucking by hand. building it was not as bad as I feared but I did use a feather plate and shaft off the site. Other parts were tractor supply, home depot and a belt from advance auto. Next year I will get one of the frying pan specials of 25 cornish roo's. And more Turkey for sure. I am a Turkey junkie and could eat it every 2 weeks.

In my case it was a project that was waiting for me to just do it. 8 Turkey and I am slow plucking by hand. building it was not as bad as I feared but I did use a feather plate and shaft off the site. Other parts were tractor supply, home depot and a belt from advance auto. Next year I will get one of the frying pan specials of 25 cornish roo's. And more Turkey for sure. I am a Turkey junkie and could eat it every 2 weeks.
I bought the kit and the motor from TS as well. I thought the barrels we had were big enough but it just won't work so I had to get the plastic to make one. The figuring for a flat piece is, for me at least, something else. Back to the book and drawingboard....

Have you had cornish before? They are some funky little birds! And I agree, I love turkeys as well, both on the table and off. they are really great birds.

I would get the feather plate and 16" pulley and shaft from Planet whizbang. It takes away the figuring and layout to get a perfect plate. I have never raised cornish but I figure it is worth a go. Turkey have more personality vs chicken.

I would get the feather plate and 16" pulley and shaft from Planet whizbang. It takes away the figuring and layout to get a perfect plate. I have never raised cornish but I figure it is worth a go. Turkey have more personality vs chicken.
I did, I bought the Shebang. My problem is laying out the plastic to make the tub. Not the same as having a barrel to do. I so suck at math, lol. I'll get it, it's just going to take some time where I can sit down and lay it out with the book right in front of me.

the cornish are really cool but mine were a bit jumpy. Not sure if this is the norm as this is my first experience with them. They will make a nice little roaster all by themselves. I bought mine to try and cross with other breeds. Not to re-invent the wheel, cornishX, but to get something that doesn't require just an 8 wk. growing. I want something that can stay on the 'hoof' for a lot longer than that.

Turkeys are wonderful birds. Friendly, smart, I just wish mine didn't want to supervise the job site of my Pea's house. Lol, They really seem to like the power tools and are watching really close. Silly buggers.

You might consider Rangers. They are good meat birds but they have better health and can regulate their own eating meaning I leave food 24/7 and not one was overweight. They take 12-16 weeks to get to a good size in my book.

Do you guys have any pics of your pluckers? I like that idea for sure, the arthritis in my hands won't be helpful to me at all. Also, can you run these pluckers off of a tractor PTO, or is that a bit much? Would hate to send the whole bird into orbit!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom