turkey poop

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by joyfulspirit, Oct 24, 2015.

1. joyfulspirit

joyfulspirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2015
    Tomahawk, WI
    I read that turkeys need more protein than chickens and some "old timers" would feed them a butchered hog -- for large flocks of course. They suggested giving turkeys raw hamburger from time to time; what say you? Lately Tommy's poos have looked like that but Trudy's poos are solid, they eat the same thing. . she perches up with the hens at night and he stays down below, always has . . 4 months old. Could he be nervous/sad they don't perch together???

2. joyfulspirit

Jul 13, 2015
    Tomahawk, WI
    We did put a 2 foot tall ladder at the base of the roosting area that Tommy seems to like to sit on . . .

3. joyfulspirit

Jul 13, 2015
    Tomahawk, WI
    i noted a reply to ur question look forward to ur ideas/thoughts

4. larue1966

larue1966 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    I have 10 laying hens and 2 Turkeys one Tom and one Female

My tom's poop is exactly like this and the female has firm poop

5. joyfulspirit

Jul 13, 2015
    Tomahawk, WI
    Really?! So maybe it's not abnormal. How old are they? What is roosting area like, do they sleep together?

6. larue1966

Oct 26, 2015
    No Idea what we are really doing, this is our first summer with them, they go off to butchers in two weeks.

They are penned with the chickens, eat all the same food.

They are all 4 months old, and yes they sleep together sometimes or they sleep in their own building.

7. larue1966

Oct 26, 2015
    Ok so I checked on my turkey this afternoon still has not eaten and he a a little poop and it looked like mustard???

Any suggestions?????

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Sounds like he's sick... Could be coccidiosis or blackhead.

-Kathy

9. larue1966

Oct 26, 2015

10. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    I agree with casportpony. My first thought was blackhead. There are several wormers that are recommended for that. Last spring, my turkeys were having the same color (mustard color frothy) poops. I treated them using "durvet DuraFend Type C Medicated Feed" for 6 days. Poops were normal after that. The ingredient you are looking for is fenbenoazole in whatever brand you get. The brand I used lists no residual for turkeys and therefore no waiting period before slaughter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by