Turkey poult blind at hatch

I have a 8 week old turkey baby right now who is blind and I’m just trying to see how your little one did a year later. Did it make it? Hopefully there is an update.

Just found this thread. How did it go with your blind turkey?
I googled about it, because we just had our first day-old poults delivered yesterday. After observing them for the first 36 hours, I believe, one of them may be blind as well. It sleeps a lot, sometimes standing up, and is a bit smaller than the rest of the group. It does not seem to react and run towards my hand when I reach into the brooder, like the other ones do, and it stands in a corner when I put new food in for them - all other poults come running and eat and drink all the time with a few short naps in between.

First, I thought, it was just exhausted from the long USPS journey, but on their second day, the rest of the poults have been very active and feeding well, apart from this one.
We are raising the turkeys for food, so no intention to breed. I would like to teach the poult to survive somehow. Its head and body seem a bit smaller than the others' and I think they know there is something the matter with this guy - they walk all over it and sit on its head sometimes when it is asleep... How long did your blind poult make it for? Did it catch up and grow bigger?

Back
Top Bottom