Turkey Poult Blind In One Eye

MrDankYT

Songster
6 Years
Feb 11, 2017
Hi,
One of my turkey hens recently laid some eggs and now that she hatched them out I noticed one turkey is blind in one eye! I noticed when I saw the grey color of it, and it's kind of cloudy, the poult is acting like every other poult I have, eating fine, walking fine drinking fine, but when the poult grows up, will she be able to tell the distance of something? For example when jumping up to the roost or down from something, will it still live a full life? My turkeys roam my big yard where there's plenty of foraging to be done, plenty of fruit in the summer too, the only trouble I think that could come is if the poult will be able to get up on the roost? If it doesn't then i will have to make some kind of staircase to the roost.

Thanks for your replies.

I would think it will adjust. (they have one-eyed race horses..."Patch" ran in the Kentucky derby as few years ago.)
I once have had a young tom with a bad leg. He always fell behind the flock...so I would pick him up and carry him to the others. Eventually, he compensated for the leg and kept pace. But, he bonded very close to me, and actually out lived his siblings.

Back
Top Bottom