Turkey poult pooping green

4Dobermans

Songster
May 24, 2020
Prescott,Az
It’s watery green. The baby was just hatched Friday but I put it in with my olde done and don’t want to make her sick. What should I do? The lady who hatched them was a vet technician, shouldn’t she have caught if they were sick?
image.jpg

Looks pretty normal for early droppings after a hatch.
I worried because the baby walks around with drooped wings. I know it’s really young but it isn’t eating and drinking right now. I am not sure if they were eating or drinking when I got him because I didn’t see any food in their bin. It did poop out a few wood pieces. It can put its wings up for a second but they fall right down. I am super worried about it but it actually was the biggest one of the blues and if you pick it up, it starts just yelling and kicking.
image.jpg

I worried because the baby walks around with drooped wings. I know it’s really young but it isn’t eating and drinking right now. I am not sure if they were eating or drinking when I got him because I didn’t see any food in their bin. It did poop out a few wood pieces. It can put its wings up for a second but they fall right down. I am super worried about it but it actually was the biggest one of the blues and if you pick it up, it starts just yelling and kicking.View attachment 3118853
If it has been eating wood chips without having access to grit, it is likely impacted. Sorry.

@casportpony

Have you been feeding it a 27-30% turkey starter? Passing wood chips is not good. If it were mine I would tube feed it fluids and hope that the fluids would help pass the rest of the wood chips, but tubing small ones like this is very tricky. Is a vet an option?

Looks pretty normal for early droppings after a hatch.

Have you been feeding it a 27-30% turkey starter? Passing wood chips is not good. If it were mine I would tube feed it fluids and hope that the fluids would help pass the rest of the wood chips, but tubing small ones like this is very tricky. Is a vet an option?
the lady that hatched it is a vet technician. I literally just got it today. It’s not like it’s passing a whole bunch and it only did it once, there are just some very small pieces like three in it. I really don’t know if she has been feeding them or not. It will stand up but then starts to fall back to sleep. It was only hatched on Friday but I can’t get it to eat of drink and don’t know how to make it hungry for the food. Physically it looks healthy. No sinus, no swollen eyes, nothing that would say sick in appearance. One point it was trembling so I put it l under the heater then it started to pant. Should I just go buy a different one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 2
the lady that hatched it is a vet technician. I literally just got it today. It’s not like it’s passing a whole bunch and it only did it once, there are just some very small pieces like three in it. I really don’t know if she has been feeding them or not. It will stand up but then starts to fall back to sleep. It was only hatched on Friday but I can’t get it to eat of drink and don’t know how to make it hungry for the food. Physically it looks healthy. No sinus, no swollen eyes, nothing that would say sick in appearance. One point it was trembling so I put it l under the heater then it started to pant. Should I just go buy a different one?
The picture you posted does not look like a healthy poult.

Walking around with drooping wings can be a sign of being too hot.

Take a thermometer and measure the temperature at the bedding level. It should be no lower than 90°F and no higher than 95°F.

It can be really hard to keep a lone poult alive.

Take a thermometer and measure the temperature at the bedding level. It should be no lower than 90°F and no higher than 95°F.

This isn’t a lone poult. Tweety is fine. I just got this one today. It was only born Friday with its other siblings. I did get it to eat some food mush but I had to put it on a little stick and he pecked at it.

I don’t think the lady helped them with food because she won’t peck at it in a bowl but when I use a stick and scoop up tiny water softened pellets, she pecks them off and eats them. She is still being stubborn about the water but I have my fingers crossed that she just needs some nutrients and hydration.

I don’t think the lady helped them with food because she won’t peck at it in a bowl but when I use a stick and scoop up tiny water softened pellets, she pecks them off and eats them. She is still being stubborn about the water but I have my fingers crossed that she just needs some nutrients and hydration.
Turkeys naturally peck at things on the ground. I use sand for bedding in the brooder and sprinkle turkey or game bird starter on the bedding. My poults usually start eating within minutes of being put in the brooder. It can take them several days to figure out that the stuff in the feeder is also food. Until they figure it out, I keep sprinkling the starter on the bedding.

Back
Top Bottom