Turkey poults eating after hatch…

PolloGal

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Eastern TN
I was wondering if anyone has found a sure fire way to tell if all your newly hatched poults have begun eating in the brooder? I am trying to prevent problems and I know we can ‘dip’ their beaks often to make sure they are drinking water, but what about food? I have been sprinkling the feed all over the white paper towels and have it in a small feeder in the brooder (which is not very big for them right now…they are 2 days old), but how can I be sure all of them have actually begun eating? I also dip each beak every 2 hours in the water (with electrolytes/vitamins in it too), but not sure how long I need to do that before ALL of them understand. I want to avoid anyone becoming weak or sick from lack of food/water and just keep sleeping their way through the days. I am learning how fragile they are and it has not been a great experience so far…I lost 2 from my previous hatch from different things (tendon issue and one just became so weak after 5 days…I did everything I could…nutri drench,sugar water, eye dropper feed every 2 hours) 😢 and don’t want anything to happen to these guys. Anyone have any ideas or have tried something successfully?

I don’t raise turkeys anymore but I always put a baby chicken with them to teach them. I never had one starve.

I have zero issues getting poults to eat and drink. I sprinkle the game bird starter on their sand bedding. I know they are eating because the crumbles I sprinkle on their bedding are gone the next day. I sprinkle more game bird starter until I see them eating from the feeder.

They usually start eating the food I sprinkle for them within 15 minutes of being put in the brooder. It can take a couple of days before they realize the stuff in the feeder is food. Once I see them eating from the feeder, I stop sprinkling feed on their bedding.

For water, I dip their beaks in the water the first time I put them in the brooder. After that I leave them alone.

I was wondering if anyone has found a sure fire way to tell if all your newly hatched poults have begun eating in the brooder
I weigh mine at hatch, then daily. The first few days after hatch, some will lose weight, but by day four, they should be gaining weight.

For water, I dip their beaks in the water the first time I put them in the brooder. After that I leave them alone.
I dothis too.

I have zero issues getting poults to eat and drink. I sprinkle the game bird starter on their sand bedding. I know they are eating because the crumbles I sprinkle on their bedding are gone the next day. I sprinkle more game bird starter until I see them eating from the feeder.

They usually start eating the food I sprinkle for them within 15 minutes of being put in the brooder. It can take a couple of days before they realize the stuff in the feeder is food. Once I see them eating from the feeder, I stop sprinkling feed on their bedding.

Ok…so that’s what I have been doing..sprinkling the food on the bedding (while paper towels). I guess I just would have felt better knowing they all were eating. I will just keep a close eye on each one. Thank you.

Watch and see that the food disappears when you aren't looking.
Right…I have seen that. I was just wondering how I can tell if every one of them has begun eating. You know…like sometimes the smallest one is weakest and may need more attention or something.

There crops are more noticeable if they are eating regularly. I teach my newly hatched chick on there 3rd day by bobbing my finger in there food and water throughout the day.

Back
Top Bottom