turkey practically naked - it is in the 20's what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peaches, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Ok, my Naragansette hen looks like she is going through a HARD moult - and now of all times! It is in low 20's at night and she roosts outside. She has NO feathers on back of neck, belly, under, chest - and loosing the rest. She was SHIVERING today - I finally stuck her in a crate in my garge for the night. What do I do? Might she be sick?

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I once had a hen (chicken) that went through a bad moult. I fenced off an area in the corner of my coop and hung a heat lamp over it. I avoided straw because of the fire hazard, but provide ample amounts of pine shavings and made a cardboard draft guard along the wire. I also fed her gamebird starter which is high in protein in hopes of increasing feather growth. I kept her in the pen when it was really cold and let her run around the coop when it wasn't. It took a while but she did grow all her feathers back and she has been fine ever since.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    They make turkey saddles too...ask for a warmer type material.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would put a heat lamp on. Karen

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I agree with Picco. If that fails, have you considered taking up knitting?

6. Peaches

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Seriously I HAVE been thinking about the knitting! she is SOOOO naked. I did buy gamebird feed and have her on that, but she is also not eating a bunch. also going to give her avia charge in her water.

7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    poor thing needs a sweater

8. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    I have a naked hen too (delaware). She was shivering big time. I put a heat lamp over the roost. She seems to like being in the corner (hiding) so I put it over that area.
    I too thought of sweaters and booties (for her cold legs) but the heat lamp works great.
    It was in the high teens this morning and she was fine--standing tall (and nearly naked) overseeing the dash for the morning treat. [​IMG] She's much happier now.
    --bjcoop

9. Peaches

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Well thanks for the replies - I feel a bit better. I'm going to put her out during the day and in the garage (40 degrees there) at night till she AT LEAST gets PINFEATHERS back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by