Turkey Processing in WA

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Makareina, May 24, 2010.

1. Makareina

Makareina Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Does anybody know of a place in WA that does turkey/chicken processing? I live in the Monroe area, and I remember someone saying that there is a place not too far from here, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was called! I'm looking for the whole deal, bring in live birds, bring home packaged meat.

Thanks for your time!

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    How many turkeys? I have a friend in your area.

3. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
  4. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    I'm also interested. Going to have 25 birds to slaughter in a couple months and would love to hire it out.

[​IMG]

5. bucketgirl

bucketgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    I know this is not what you are asking, but we rent the plucker setup from http://agbizcenter.org/ for $25. We are able to do 25 birds from standing in the coop to dressed and in the cooler at about 6 minutes per bird, or 2.5 hours for 25. This was only our second time doing it.

The kit comes with turkey kill cones as well.

I am also interested in where you hire someone in case we ever have difficulties scheduling a harvest date. But for the most part doing it ourselves has been easy and fun.

6. Farmer_Dan

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:I just sent these folks an email 5 minutes ago!! Yes, that would be a great option if they'll rent us the equipment. I live in King county and they don't "service" King county. Whatever that means, if we can just rent the gear, even if we have to drive to MV to pick it up and use it for the day, it would be great. I don't have a problem killing the birds, it's the plucking that is so durn time consuming and annoying.

7. Farmer_Dan

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Just heard back from http://www.agbizcenter.org

Nobody knows why they say that they only service a few counties on their web site. They'll let us rent their gear! This will certainly make the &@$#in pluckikn way easier! [​IMG]

8. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    You guys in WA have cheap soy-free feed custom milled for you AND rental pluckers? Your state is overflowing in riches. I hate you all.

[​IMG]

9. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    We just finished processing 14 meaties yesterday. We skin the birds and therefore don't have to pluck any feathers. We offered to teach how to process the birds over the past 2 weekends. We don't have anymore birds but we would be willing to show anyone how to do process use their own birds. PM me for more information if anyone wants to know more. I have also de-boned all of the meat. It will be easier to use that way. I am in the Sound Sound area.

[​IMG] P.S. petrelline: We are just plain spoiled rot here in Western Washington. [​IMG] We feel special. [​IMG]

10. sfessler

sfessler Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Quote:Have yet to find cheap feed in western WA. Still nearly 18$ for 50# of 20% flockraiser. Do you know something I don't?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by