Turkey processing

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We had some friends come over today for their 1st ever processing. I didn't think it would, but everything went very very well. Didn't get as many pics as I wanted since we were helping them alot. We did a Midget White for us and a Beltsville for them.

Guests of honor

[​IMG]

we know what this is for [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scalding pot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

plucking

[​IMG]

Steve

2. MovieFanz

MovieFanz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    Do you have a picture of the finished product? What are the ages and finished weights?

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Nice I'd like to see a close up of the forth pic to see the expressions on the faces of the birds in the back ground. I processed my Scovie drake today and I swear the rest of the flock got the heck out of dodge for a while till I was done. lol Good job though, how entertaining was that couple you were helping ?

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Darn Steve, a $75 broad ax and a $75 cast iron wash pot.... That's butchering with CLASS! Mine just get a sharp knife and a stock pot. I'm jealous.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Golly I want an axe like that. . . . Very nice!

6. leoismydog

leoismydog Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2008
    Yes nice hatchet never saw one with a wide blade like that, I dry plucked the one turkey today not to bad but man there's a ton of the little new (just starting to develope type) feathers still on him any good way to get then gone, There barely big enough to get a hold of almost need tweezers to get em. it was a bourbon so there dark and you can see them, I was plucking longer than anything else. I need me one of them plucker things.

7. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:I use a long lighter to burn them off quickly and then rinse.

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

The axe I got on ebay years ago. The camp hatchet just didn't make it for turkeys and geese. The guy that was selling it was a furniture maker and the handle is offset, I think they call it a hewing axe or something like that but I got it $10 or 15. The was pot was the same way, I picked it up at a yard sale. They were using it as a flower planter.

Steve

9. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Love the pot and axe! I use my 80qt crawfish pot and a pocket knife to cut the throat. It is light and the propane is easy to controll the heat. My 13yr old daughter and I butchered a nise st bronze to this weekend. I always butcher out of view of my other birds. My wifes uncle killed a turkey in front of the others 2 years ago, the rest of the flock took off that day never to be seen again![​IMG] Glad we got it done because today we are going up to 78deg and humid. The weather is really messing up my deer and hog hunting!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you can do it safely, and I'm thinking of windy days or when it is very dry as danger points, a crumbled up newspaper burns quickly and pretty hot. Just drag the carcass through the flames. With bit of practice, I find it works pretty well on chickens. Have not tried it on turkeys yet.

Steve, I do plan on ordering some eggs after Christmas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by