turkey question are they still safe to eat

The one bird that I kept after it had a swollen sinus is my peacock. That was in Oct '08, and it never came back. If yours are going down with no medication, that's actually really promising. In a lot of cases, it stays and hardens, then it needs to be cut out.

As far as MG being on most farms? If folks tested for it and didn't breed or sell birds from an infected flock, perhaps it could be eradicated.
I wanted my birds tested-- state said do not test. I TOTALLY agree with you!! I would like to know I am buying from clean flocks and then close my flock.

well it was late when i got home last night i went to the cage to check on the two turkeys and one has a little swelling and the other one was was pretty bad again
they both are eat great other then the swollen sinuses
i think i will keep them from the rest of the flock for one more week and if i cannot get the swelling to stay down i guess i will have to cull them
i would hate for the rest of my flock to get this i have two other birds in there with them and they are showing no sign of swellling
i put them in with the swelling head turkeys cause they were looking like they were sick but now they are ok but i fgure that they have this mess too so i guess i will have to cull them too

The one bird that I kept after it had a swollen sinus is my peacock. That was in Oct '08, and it never came back. If yours are going down with no medication, that's actually really promising. In a lot of cases, it stays and hardens, then it needs to be cut out.

As far as MG being on most farms? If folks tested for it and didn't breed or sell birds from an infected flock, perhaps it could be eradicated.
if my flock has a bad desease i will not sell them to anyone
i raise my birds for feeding my family
like i said this is the first time i have raised turkeys i was excited in raising turkeys for food i like watching the tom strut his stuff lol
i have 8 turkeys counting those that i have in the sick cage and since they were roaming with the other turkey when i notice the head swelling i guess the whole flock has is
i guess i have no choice but to cull all of them and not get turkey again now its in the soil and any new turkeys i get will get it too right
just wondering

ok folks
i have a new problem i think its a problem that is
i have never seen this color of dropping before
so if i can get this picture up on here can someone tell me what is wrong with them now if yall dont mind that is

i swear if turkeys are going to be this aggravating to raise i think i might need to stay with pheasants and quail
i have never had this much trouble with any birds i have raised

ok folks
i have a new problem i think its a problem that is
i have never seen this color of dropping before
so if i can get this picture up on here can someone tell me what is wrong with them now if yall dont mind that is

i swear if turkeys are going to be this aggravating to raise i think i might need to stay with pheasants and quail
i have never had this much trouble with any birds i have raised
oh and i have wormed them i just dont know what this is i have never seen this
im thinking this is not normal

thanks again kuntrygirl
no just this strange looking poo
they eat great and are running all over the place
i just think im over reacting a little being new to raising turkeys and hearing all the horror stories
i think when i get the two that keeps getting the big head (swellon head) cured or atlease under control a little bit and they make it to adulthood im sure i will start enjoy having them

Merry Christmas
To All and God Bless you
and wish Jesus a Happy Birthday

i guess i have no choice but to cull all of them and not get turkey again now its in the soil and any new turkeys i get will get it too right
just wondering

Most virus that cause problems like this don't live long outside the host (even Mycoplasma). The few times I had a bird with swollen sinus, it never spread through the flock. I used a sterile syringe with a 16g or 18g needle and sucked the gunk out of the sinus. Then I used a new sterile syringe with a 22g needle and injected some Tylan right into the sinus. I did one injection, then watched. In every case (there were maybe 3 times) within 2 days the swelling was gone and never came back. It isn't approved for poultry, but if I wasn't going to eat them for a month or so the Tylan might be something to try.

And Merry Christmas to you too!

hey kuntrygirl every thing is fine over here but thanks for thinking about me your sweet
i guess you were asking about the weather lol
i didnt get any tornados here but i did get alot of hard bone chilling rain i mean a bunch of it and very cold rain
i seen a few snow flaks butnot enough to get excited over i sure do miss snow
here in alabama the part where i live we get snow it seems like every other year and when we get it it only stays on the ground for a few days then its gone
i deside to give the meds a chance its been a week with them on it and not much had changed thier head swells then goes down then swell again the one i think is a tom is the one that has it the most the other one is doing fine but i will not put her with my flock till im sure she is over the worst of it

i thank every one that has helped me out on these two turkeys
it nice to know that there are still folks in this world that cares enough to try and lend a helping hand
thank yall
david

Back
Top Bottom