Turkey question

MamaLynn23

Songster
Jan 9, 2021
I have 5 turkeys, one Tom and four hens. The tom and one of the hens are siblings and have recently become mature. They are from a clutch one of our hens hatched. I have observed the tom trying to perform the mating ritual, but have not seen yet if he has been successful. He's very good at keeping his ladies protected and what- not though. I don't like that he fights with my rooster sometimes, but I think maybe Soda Pop(rooster) goes looking for a fight now and then! Recently I have seen one of our hens, possibly two because I can't tell 2 of them apart, hopping over our fence into the empty overgrown lot next door. I assume they go to lay eggs because after a while they are back and I had another one do that quite often last Spring. About a week ago one of the hens went missing for a few days. She was back for a few hours then went missing again. I'm pretty sure she has a clutch that she has decided to hatch out in the tall grass/brush next door. That's fine I guess, I'm sure she is well hidden because the two times I have gone over there looking for her I couldn't find her. My only reservation is that it is just starting to get into the cold season for us down here in South Texas. In fact we are supposed to have several freezing days in a row coming up at the end of the week. Will she be ok if she decides to stick it out? Or will she abandon her nest and come back home? I really want to let her hatch out her eggs if that is what she is doing, but I'd hate for her to freeze to death. It would also suck if the eggs go to waste. What should I do? Also, about how long does it take for domestic turkeys to incubate a clutch? I don't remember how long our hen took to hatch her two.

Note: I did try to keep an eye on her and see if I could follow her to her nest a couple times, but she's very sneaky, like she knows when I'm not looking and has eluded me. I'm thinking about putting out our game camera to catch her movements...

How cold is in in South Texas? I've kept chickens in unheated coops all winter in Upstate NY and used to have a rooster who would insist on sleeping outside on all but the coldest nights.

Preface: I am not an expert, but

She will probably be fine. I know that cold weather can be a shock to birds that are acclimated to warmer weather, but she has plenty of down feathers that 30* won't freeze her to death.

Definitely take advice from more local keepers over mine though!

The tom and one of the hens are siblings and have recently become mature. They are from a clutch one of our hens hatched. I have observed the tom trying to perform the mating ritual, but have not seen yet if he has been successful. He's very good at keeping his ladies protected and what- not though.
It is best to not breed siblings to each other.
Recently I have seen one of our hens, possibly two because I can't tell 2 of them apart, hopping over our fence into the empty overgrown lot next door. I assume they go to lay eggs because after a while they are back and I had another one do that quite often last Spring. About a week ago one of the hens went missing for a few days. She was back for a few hours then went missing again. I'm pretty sure she has a clutch that she has decided to hatch out in the tall grass/brush next door. That's fine I guess, I'm sure she is well hidden because the two times I have gone over there looking for her I couldn't find her.
That is relatively common but also can be very dangerous. Hens hiding out on nests are easy pickings for predators.
My only reservation is that it is just starting to get into the cold season for us down here in South Texas. In fact we are supposed to have several freezing days in a row coming up at the end of the week. Will she be ok if she decides to stick it out? Or will she abandon her nest and come back home? I really want to let her hatch out her eggs if that is what she is doing, but I'd hate for her to freeze to death.
Thirty degrees F is not cold to a turkey. It is currently 23°F here and my turkeys are out there sitting on their roosts without any issues. It has already been as low as -11°F here this year with the possibility of getting down to -30°F this winter. My turkeys handle it just fine.

Of course my turkeys won't start laying until at least the middle of March.
Also, about how long does it take for domestic turkeys to incubate a clutch? I don't remember how long our hen took to hatch her two.
28 days
I did try to keep an eye on her and see if I could follow her to her nest a couple times, but she's very sneaky, like she knows when I'm not looking and has eluded me. I'm thinking about putting out our game camera to catch her movements...
The game camera may work. I stay far behind them and then later investigate the area where the hens disappear from my sight.

It is best to not breed siblings to each other.

That is relatively common but also can be very dangerous. Hens hiding out on nests are easy pickings for predators.

Thirty degrees F is not cold to a turkey. It is currently 23°F here and my turkeys are out there sitting on their roosts without any issues. It has already been as low as -11°F here this year with the possibility of getting down to -30°F this winter. My turkeys handle it just fine.

Of course my turkeys won't start laying until at least the middle of March.

28 days

The game camera may work. I stay far behind them and then later investigate the area where the hens disappear from my sight.
Thanks for all your insight. I appreciate it. I hadn't thought the siblings would be too much of an issue. I guess we should get a different tom. I cannot tell the mother and sister apart. they are both slender and black and pretty much the same size. Maybe I should start shopping around for a person to trade toms with!

Does it matter if the weather is wet?

Thanks for all your insight. I appreciate it. I hadn't thought the siblings would be too much of an issue. I guess we should get a different tom. I cannot tell the mother and sister apart. they are both slender and black and pretty much the same size. Maybe I should start shopping around for a person to trade toms with!

Does it matter if the weather is wet?
Wet weather usually interferes with good hatch rates for the wild turkeys. It probably isn't good for domestic turkeys either.

Back
Top Bottom