Turkey raising chicks

My nearly year old hens have became broody, and given that none of the four poults I bought turned out to be male I allowed them to lay on my game hen eggs this season.

Attachments

• 94BFDF0D-0B1C-4696-A6FA-B2C3A23F2C52.jpeg
    94BFDF0D-0B1C-4696-A6FA-B2C3A23F2C52.jpeg
    646.4 KB · Views: 8
  • B416EB27-7F05-4B6D-902D-3BD92E189FB6.jpeg
    B416EB27-7F05-4B6D-902D-3BD92E189FB6.jpeg
    740.1 KB · Views: 6
wow I've heard of people using their chicken to hatch turkey but never the other way around.:)
It's a lot more common than you think. People use their excellent broody turkeys to hatch guineas, ducks and geese too. It is usually because they don't have a tom with their turkey hen and feel the need to give her something to hatch.

It's a lot more common than you think. People use their excellent broody turkeys to hatch guineas, ducks and geese too. It is usually because they don't have a tom with their turkey hen and feel the need to give her something to hatch.
That’s exactly why I let my turkeys hatch out those chicks haha. They were laying on their own infertile eggs and it pulled on my heart strings

I have a different strategy. I keep the eggs collected and destroy the nest if the hen starts to go broody.
Well the ones in the original picture are almost one year old. This is their first time going broody so I didn’t want to give them the idea that trying to hatch out their own eggs is a “No No”. Otherwise I would’ve pulled the eggs like you say you do.

Back
Top Bottom