Turkey Starter on Baby chicks?

gamefowl-layers

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2016
Littlerock California
I raise gamefowl. I have read the effects on pullets (laying problems and stuff like that). I was wondering if turkey starter has any effect over a long period of time?

Or is there a way to properly feed them turkey starter without getting problems? Like maybe feed them turkey starter for the first 2 months and change it? Any help would be appreciated thanks

Feeding too high of a protein feed can cause chicks to sexually mature too quickly. I personally do not want my pullets to mature too young and I will add scratch into their diets to cut some protein during the 3-5 month period. Sometimes pullets mature and begin laying eggs before they are developed enough to. I don't have any troubles with prolapse or egg bound hens, I actually never heard of them before this site.

I don't know if I would use a game bird. If I did I would switch to something lower after 8 weeks of age. Adult birds can eat a higher protein ration. I just don't want my maturing pullets to be getting it. This of course, is my own opinion and way of doing it. Others may have other ideas.

Feeding too high of a protein feed can cause chicks to sexually mature too quickly. I personally do not want my pullets to mature too young and I will add scratch into their diets to cut some protein during the 3-5 month period. Sometimes pullets mature and begin laying eggs before they are developed enough to. I don't have any troubles with prolapse or egg bound hens, I actually never heard of them before this site.

I don't know if I would use a game bird. If I did I would switch to something lower after 8 weeks of age. Adult birds can eat a higher protein ration. I just don't want my maturing pullets to be getting it. This of course, is my own opinion and way of doing it. Others may have other ideas.

I understand. I was thinking of just feeding it to the stags. Usually at around 3 weeks of age, you can tell which ones are males and which are females. I could care less about the pullets because they look like mini hens at ages 4-5 months. The gamefowl world is very different than the egg laying world. People prefer the boys in the gamefowl world rather than the hens. I was thinking chick starter for first 3 weeks, then turkey starter for next 5 weeks, and then TMC Gamebird Mix.

What can be problems for the males with turkey starter? For pullets, I know it can affect their egg laying production but I'm not sure for the males.

I do believe I read that too high a protein diet can cause problems with kidneys and can lead to gout in chickens. I have also read some folks feed a higher protein feed without troubles. I haven't done it and can only guess at it. You may have to try it and see how it goes.

Last edited:
I do believe I read that too high a protein diet can cause problems with kidneys and can lead to gout in chickens. I have also read some folks feed a higher protein feed without troubles. I haven't done and can only guess at it. You may have to try it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try it one a few. Have about 30 chicks going to hatch this week so I'm gonna test it on them. Thank you.

What's the protein percentage on the turkey starter?
Are any of the other nutritive values different?
Please do update this thread as you see any results.

Back
Top Bottom