turkey temperament: breeder or hatchery stock?

NorthTexaschick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Denton area
To those of you who have friendly, non-aggressive turkeys: did you get your stock from a breeder or from a hatchery? Do you think it makes a difference as to temperament? I'm asking b/c I've had to pen mine due to aggression towards my chickens. They were all free-range, so crowding was not the issue. I have Bourbon Reds, BTW.

I have hatchery bourbon reds and mine are aggressive towards the chickens as well. It is mainly my hens though the toms just tend to strut around not really causing much of a fuss.

We also had Bourbons. Ours we got from a breeder as young adults and three adults. All were friendly and very nice towards everything. You could sit down in a chair and all the hens would climb all over you. The Tom would strut around and drum but never acted aggressive. One of our Roosters went after him once. He defended himself but the fight was very one sided and lasted maybe 2 seconds.
We got Bronze big boy's a few years ago from a hatchery. Those were also not aggressive and were very nice. (Darn dumped off dog thought so too....)

Back
Top Bottom