Turkey thief caught in the act!

I called the non energency police line. The called back once and I missed the call. Seems inpossible to report. I did file an online complaint. But the man did not trespass, he simply reached over my fence and grabbed her off the coop roof. She loves her roosting spot. I will attempt to secure the coop. It was built as an open coop.
can you just fully enclose the coop in some sort of cage/fencing on that side? To prevent people from reaching over? Put barbed wire or razor wire on top of the chain link roof?

Again, he was on the outside of my fence. My neighbor heard and every dog in the neighborhood was barking like crazy. I didn't even think to grab my gun. I was in save turkey mode! Why would someone want to grab her? They sell turkeys at stores!:/

Again, he was on the outside of my fence. My neighbor heard and every dog in the neighborhood was barking like crazy. I didn't even think to grab my gun. I was in save turkey mode! Why would someone want to grab her? They sell turkeys at stores!
hmm.png
Why pay for something you can get for free? I doubt he even particularly wanted a turkey, he just saw something that wasn't nailed down and decided he was going to take it. I'd encourage the birds to sleep in a coop, but also think enforcing the fencing in some way or doing something to discourage opportunists would be a good idea. It would drive me nuts having birds roost that close to the property line.

The birds love to watch traffic and people that walk by. Silly birdies. And oh, the fence is just over 6 feet, not 10, that was a typo!

Again, he was on the outside of my fence. My neighbor heard and every dog in the neighborhood was barking like crazy. I didn't even think to grab my gun. I was in save turkey mode! Why would someone want to grab her? They sell turkeys at stores!
hmm.png

Why would someone try to grab your turkey? Because they're hungry.

Had a kid do something similar last year, dogs woke me up like they do when a predator is nosing around. Grabbed my 12ga and let them out only to find a truck parked in the shadow of a tree in the driveway. I guess a old bald man in his underwear approaching with a gun was to much for him as he backed out real fast and left. Of course I pursued him until he missed a corner and drove into a ditch. Watched him run off into a field then called the sheriff. A phone call later they told me they found him,his story was he was tired so pulled off in my driveway to sleep. I didn't press charges on the kid figuring he learned a lesson.
I see him occasionally drive by and laugh everytime I see the smashed front end of that truck and the kid trying to look small behind the wheel.

Can you put up an electric net fence? They are very effective against people as well as predators. I've been shocked by mine, and it gets your attention. Set it up a couple of feet behind your existing fence so they have to reach over one fence to get to the electric fence. That would keep people from accidentally getting shocked, and would be a good lesson for anyone causing problems.

I reported it to the police but a very ignorant angry Tucson police officer called me back and said it is a class one misdemeanor to own a turkey. She said my neighbors would surly report me. Lame! I didn't argue with her. I told her I would get rid of her. Turkey Lurkey is broody and doesn't make too much noise. And the staff at the feed store told me the laws. I have little tolerance for either arguing or ignorance! Since the incident Lurkey has been sleeping in the coop. Thank goodness she is broody.:D and I sleep in sweats with my taser close by.

Back
Top Bottom