turkey trouble...what was I thinking

Yes they are Bourbon Reds about 15 months old. The toms are to big to get very far off the ground, they roost about 3 feet up, the hens can get over a 6 foot fence easy but they pretty much stay put. All our turkey pens are back in the woods and we left the old logs and dirt mounds so they have plenty to keep them busy.
Those two we call the "twins", They were hatched together and are pretty much joined at the wing, they always stay together. The hen in the front kept following me around when I was trying to get the pic and I didn't see her when I snapped the shot but it worked out pretty good.

Steve in NC

I love the hen in front, she looks like a nosy neighbor trying to find out what's going on... That's funny about the "twins". I had heard that toms will try to kill each other, but I have the same situation -- several male brothers that hate to be apart and pretty much do everything together. Mine aren't that big yet -- they're about 3 months old. Here's a pic of my half-grown twins imitating their dad, big Tom:
4957_like_father_like_sons.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Nice looking turkeys! Our grass didn't stand a chance, every rain the geese and ducks pulled up every blade. lol

Steve in NC

Maybe you could just gently remind her of your intentions for the two toms. Her names for them sound tasty so maybe she isn't as attached as you think.

Perhaps the next time you get friendly animals you could head her off at the pass and name them after their purpose like, "Thanksgiving" or "Christmas" or "Food."

We don't even have the land yet to buy pigs but my husband has already told our daughters that our pigs will be named, "Bacon and Ham."

Quote:
Nice looking turkeys! Our grass didn't stand a chance, every rain the geese and ducks pulled up every blade. lol

Steve in NC

Yeah, it's looking a bit browner now (not enough rain)... My new neighbors don't like the turkeys wandering around on the farm... how can I convince them how lovely it is to live in harmony with free-range birds (yeah, and how to convince them to deal with the occasional porch poop)...

Back
Top Bottom