turkey trouble

ok, so in the last day or two he’s started to bounce back. Just got home and he’s totally full of air!!! What on earth do I do about this?! Please help!!
14A56F76-92E3-40FF-A550-73AFD3ABA015.jpeg
6CE2B0E4-B1E0-4DEC-8DAE-517AC6F5B11D.jpeg

I really am not an expert on turkeys, but that looks like an air sac has ruptured, or there might be air sacculitis. There is an avian pneumo virus that can cause a swollen head. How does the neck feel—full of liquid, pus, or air? Have you finished the Tylan? Do you have other farm animals? I’m not sure if fowl cholera could be a problem. I am going to tag @R2elk and @casportpony and hope others will chime in.

I don’t know if I saw the total time I should be giving the tylan. I have still been giving it 2-3 times a day (work depending). We have chickens, Guineas, horses, dogs and cats.
It feels totally full of air. This is the first day in a week he’s had both eyes open.

I would get to a vet ASAP. If the antibiotics aren't touching this and it's getting this bad I don't think you can treat this at home.

Google and see if you have any farm or avian vets available in your area. I hope he gets better soon!

Tylan 200 is given 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight 3 times a day for 5 days. I would give it orally. If the swelling is from a ruptured air sac, the air sometimes can be withdrawn with a needle and syringe. A vet would be best. Here is a video removing air from a ruptured air sac with a needle:

Back
Top Bottom