turkey trouble

just_a_dude

Hatching
Oct 22, 2021
Our bronze breasted turkey Lurch is about 8 months old, in the last few weeks(been a very busy few weeks) he started to get a sinus infection (at least that's my guess). He is coughing, sneezing, shaking his head, nose and eye discharge and he has now got inflamed sinuses under his eyes.

Any idea of proper diagnoses and treatment? Hes a great guard turkey and we would like to get him healthy again
turkey 2.jpg
tukey 1.jpg

A foamy eye, head shaking, coughing are signs of mycoplasma (MG, CRD.) It can get worse causing pus or exudate in the sinus and face, and sometimes air sacculitis, a more serious infection. If you can get Tylan injectable from a feed store, or Tylosin powder for the water online from jedds.com, that can treat MG. It is not curable, though symptoms may go away, and he can remain a carrier. Have you seen a respiratory infection in other poultry? Other antibiotics can be used, such as oxytetracycline, Denagard, or Baytril. Here is where to find Tylosin powder for the water, and dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days for chickens:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder?_pos=1&_sid=34f4fc612&_ss=r

Last edited:
It’s been 2 days of Tylan 200 orally and he’s getting much worse. Should I start doing injections or manually drain him.
We are very worried about him. Any help would be very appreciated

Attachments

• C6ECB4D6-324B-4855-9573-DA057ABF30ED.jpeg
    C6ECB4D6-324B-4855-9573-DA057ABF30ED.jpeg
    409.9 KB · Views: 1
The pus may come out from around the eye, but I am not a turkey expert. Here is a graphic video of getting pus out of a chicken’s eye:

ok, so in the last day or two he’s started to bounce back. Just got home and he’s totally full of air!!! What on earth do I do about this?! Please help!!
14A56F76-92E3-40FF-A550-73AFD3ABA015.jpeg
6CE2B0E4-B1E0-4DEC-8DAE-517AC6F5B11D.jpeg

I really am not an expert on turkeys, but that looks like an air sac has ruptured, or there might be air sacculitis. There is an avian pneumo virus that can cause a swollen head. How does the neck feel—full of liquid, pus, or air? Have you finished the Tylan? Do you have other farm animals? I’m not sure if fowl cholera could be a problem. I am going to tag @R2elk and @casportpony and hope others will chime in.

Back
Top Bottom