Turkey trying to mate with humans?

Kelly Klumpp

Chirping
Oct 23, 2020
Virginia
Recently, my only female turkey has been acting strange, screaming in the middle of the yard separated from the rest of the foul. She will even walk away from the flock which she never has done before unless unintentionally, and walk towards the sides of our house. She started making some new noises as well, and when a human walks close to her or repeats the noises she is making, she will fluff all her feathers out and resemble a male turkey and walk towards the human, doing a kind of sidestep footwork as she comes. This behavior is really puzzling and we are new to turkey raising-- we have only raised chickens before. What is she doing? Does she need something from us, like a male turkey?

Recently, my only female turkey has been acting strange, screaming in the middle of the yard separated from the rest of the foul. She will even walk away from the flock which she never has done before unless unintentionally, and walk towards the sides of our house. She started making some new noises as well, and when a human walks close to her or repeats the noises she is making, she will fluff all her feathers out and resemble a male turkey and walk towards the human, doing a kind of sidestep footwork as she comes. This behavior is really puzzling and we are new to turkey raising-- we have only raised chickens before. What is she doing? Does she need something from us, like a male turkey?
Turkeys are very social and should not be raised alone unless you are doing it solely for meat production. You should get more turkeys to keep her company. It can be a hen or a tom. If you get a tom, it is best that you also get more hens too.

The other answers are more likely your solution, but have you noticed her laying eggs yet? I have a few hens who would display like toms, only to pop an egg out on the ground moments later.
This, and the fact that she is leaving the flock and exploring other areas tells me she is looking for a nesting site.

Another thing hormonal turkey hens will do is run in front of you, practically tripping you, and squat down to the ground. (Mating behavior)

She is trying to attract a mate. Suggest buy a second full grown or partially grown tom. She will select a chicken rooster as possible mate. This works out okay if do not plan to breed her.

We had an older hen that would do this. We figured that it was her way of showing dominance.

Our 55 lb dog and our toms like to play together.

Back
Top Bottom