turkey trying to set

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by dadsgirl, May 3, 2009.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    i have a hen turkey that is trying to set 2 eggs, i don't want her to do this at this point, how can i stop her from this????

2. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Pull the eggs from her and either incubate them your self or store them up to a week till she lays a full clutch then add them back to her nest

3. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    From my experience, once they have decided to be broody, there isn't a lot you can do about it. Even if I took the eggs away from my turkey, she would just sit in the nest on nothing. I even tried letting her roam free outside the pen and as soon as I let her back in (even after several days), she went right back on the nest. She really is an excellent broody. Also, if she is sitting already, she probably isn't laying anyway. Good luck!

Leah

4. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Well if she is going broody on you, you can break this by putting her in a encloser or ?? with a wire floor that is up off the ground and this should break her of being broody in a bout a week or so, as she will try and set but the wind will come thru the wire and this should help break it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by