Turkey with a dislocated leg joint??? HELP!!!!!!!!

mpebs

Hatching
10 Years
May 5, 2009
My turkey that is about 4 weeks old's leg rotates backward as if it is dislocated at the hip joint. Has anyone ever heard of that before? I called around and nobody seems to know what it is. Anyone with an answer please email me at [email protected] I'm not sure what to do and my vet is out of town. Thanks!

someone else just had this same thing happen to their turkey poult and showed a picture of it on this same forum... the reccomendation was to make it a splint to try to help the leg go back into place and stay there. Splints are pretty easy to do, a pencil or a stick would suffice, with bandage tape... turn the leg back around to it's proper position and put the pencil or stick on the side of the leg as a stabilizer, then wrap the leg firmly (but not tight as to cut off circulation) and HOPEFULLY the leg doesnt twist. if it still does the bird will need to probably see a vet? Even a non-qualified bird vet may be iwlling to take a look at it and give you a suggestion hopefully
fl.gif
hugs.gif

HI. this is farmerpete. about your turkey, I had one yrs. ago with the same problem. It was a broadbrested bronze. I was told that the condition was due to in breeding. the leg never got better and the young chick died. When i started raising turkeys again, I started with Bourban reds. they are more expensive, but the toms are light enough to mount a hen and they don't have the big chest that the broadbrested toms have. The bourban Reds I had were very tame and lots of fun, but I had to find them a new home because I re-located to texas. I have more land now so we are going to add some to our flock. We've got 32 yellow buffs, 2 guineas, 28 white leghorns, 3 black jersey giants,also 4goats,and 2pigs. We really love our chickens . they buy thier own feed by laying eggs.

My turkey that is about 4 weeks old's leg rotates backward as if it is dislocated at the hip joint. Has anyone ever heard of that before? I called around and nobody seems to know what it is. Anyone with an answer please email me at [email protected] I'm not sure what to do and my vet is out of town. Thanks!
It's a slipped tendon. Usually a lot of physical therapy and also seperation from the other chicks will help. But, it's very likely once slipped it will slip again.

Back
Top Bottom