Turkey with Chickens

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by gloecmj, Nov 14, 2007.

1. gloecmj

gloecmj New Egg

Nov 14, 2007
    I have been keeping my Turkeys and Chickens in the same coop for the last two months and was wondering if the Turkeys will be OK to eat since they are scheduled to be dressed in a week. I have read that it is not good practive to keep them together but I did not read it until the other day so I am a bit worried now. Anyone else keep them together and have any problems?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Alot of people keep them together. The reason they say not together is due to blackhead disease which can kill your turkeys. If you've had them together though, looks like your chickens aren't carriers for it.

3. gloecmj

gloecmj New Egg

Nov 14, 2007
    Everyone seems to be healthy. The turkeys are in good spirits and are very active. I have heard checking their liver for spots will tell me if they are OK to eat. I just dont want my family to get sick on Turkey day because I feed them bad meat or something. Im so excited to eat them. They definitly poop way too much to keep long term for me:) I will stick with Chickens for long term pets / egg producers.

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i have never kept turkeys before but have considered it. do they poop more like they eat so much more so poop more or like their poop is way ickier than chicken poop?

5. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I love turkeys! They are very curious creatures, and mine are tame as they will sit on your lap! The do poop alot, but NOT as much as geese! At least turkey poop is solid! [​IMG]

The hens make good mothers too!
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1796/robinmarleneqb4.jpg

(trying out my avatar for Thanksgiving)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  6. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    Very cute turkeys, Carole AM!
    I am considering turkeys in the future. Do you know where you can purchase a few turkeys, rather than 15-which is Murray McMurray's smallest acceptable order.

7. Carole AM

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Yes! As soon as mine start laying in the spring, I will have some! (If you want babies!)

My avatar is Vincent, my Royal Palm tom. I have 2 RP hens (Pearl & Robyn), a blue slate hen (Mooney) and a mixed hen (Marlene).

8. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I am in Marion, IN. Whereabouts are you?

9. Carole AM

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I'm in Goshen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by