Turkey with Chickens

gloecmj

Hatching
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
I have been keeping my Turkeys and Chickens in the same coop for the last two months and was wondering if the Turkeys will be OK to eat since they are scheduled to be dressed in a week. I have read that it is not good practive to keep them together but I did not read it until the other day so I am a bit worried now. Anyone else keep them together and have any problems?

Alot of people keep them together. The reason they say not together is due to blackhead disease which can kill your turkeys. If you've had them together though, looks like your chickens aren't carriers for it.

Everyone seems to be healthy. The turkeys are in good spirits and are very active. I have heard checking their liver for spots will tell me if they are OK to eat. I just dont want my family to get sick on Turkey day because I feed them bad meat or something. Im so excited to eat them. They definitly poop way too much to keep long term for me:) I will stick with Chickens for long term pets / egg producers.

i have never kept turkeys before but have considered it. do they poop more like they eat so much more so poop more or like their poop is way ickier than chicken poop?

I love turkeys! They are very curious creatures, and mine are tame as they will sit on your lap! The do poop alot, but NOT as much as geese! At least turkey poop is solid!
roll.png

The hens make good mothers too!
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1796/robinmarleneqb4.jpg

(trying out my avatar for Thanksgiving)

Last edited:
Very cute turkeys, Carole AM!
I am considering turkeys in the future. Do you know where you can purchase a few turkeys, rather than 15-which is Murray McMurray's smallest acceptable order.

Yes! As soon as mine start laying in the spring, I will have some! (If you want babies!)

My avatar is Vincent, my Royal Palm tom. I have 2 RP hens (Pearl & Robyn), a blue slate hen (Mooney) and a mixed hen (Marlene).

Back
Top Bottom