Turkey with fowl pox?

Radler

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 22, 2014
I took the following pictures to my local feed store and they said he has fowl pox. I was given a vaccine that I need to use on him and all my other feathered friends. I was also given a sanitizer ? He is eating and drinking. At one time, he seemed to have moisture around eyes and nose, but the last couple of days they seem to be normal. He is not growing as fast as his siblings. Sister died a couple of weeks ago ? She did not have the large had. She was not eating, lethargic and stunted growth. any comments/ suggestions? thank you!

That does not look like fowl pox. Well, it could possibly be. Don't rule it out. But here's a pic of fowl pox...

I know nothing about turkeys but I've read some about puffiness in their eyes or head. I've read about chickens that have puffy heads like yours does, and they don't survive very long after this starts. I really don't know what this is. I haven't read much about this type of thing because I haven't had to deal with it. Hopefully someone can help you out.

Last edited:
Thank you. There is so much stuff out there, it's hard to come up with a specific diagnosis.

Yeah. There's so many different respiratory infections that can cause this. I've had a horrible time with my chickens. Cociidiosis twice and then a respiratory infection after that. It's one thing after another for me and diagnosing is hard.

Even though you can't tell for sure without a test or a necrospy, your turkey looks like it has a respiratory disease such as coryza or MG. Is their a very bad odor around the head? For MG Tylan50 injectible is good to use for treatment, and with coryza Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet is good for treatment, along with Tylan50 to help prevent the secondary infections such as MG and others. Tylan 50 can be given directly by mouth as well as by injection, 1 ml per each 5 lb. If the turkey is larger than 10 lb, I would get Tylan 200 which is 4 times stronger per ml. Here is a good link that lists the common diseases, along with MG and coryza:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Even though you can't tell for sure without a test or a necrospy, your turkey looks like it has a respiratory disease such as coryza or MG. Is their a very bad odor around the head? For MG Tylan50 injectible is good to use for treatment, and with coryza Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet is good for treatment, along with Tylan50 to help prevent the secondary infections such as MG and others. Tylan 50 can be given directly by mouth as well as by injection, 1 ml per each 5 lb. If the turkey is larger than 10 lb, I would get Tylan 200 which is 4 times stronger per ml. Here is a good link that lists the common diseases, along with MG and coryza:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Does that dose go for chickens too? Just want to be sure because I might have to give Tylan 50 to my chickens

Last edited:
Yes, the Tylan 200 is pretty concentrated to give as an injection into a bird's breast muscle, but you can give it orally. The Tylan 50 is preferable to Tylan 200 for chickens, and turkeys, too, but you don't want to be giving more than 2 ml in an injection--1 ml is plenty.

Back
Top Bottom