Turkey With Swollen Cheeks-Please Help

aggieterpkatie

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Maryland
My Royal Palm tom (approx 5 mos) has swollen cheeks, just under his eyes. I vaguely remember another bird of mine (chicken or turkey, can't remember) had this happen YEARS ago, but I don't remember what I did or if it lived. Can anyone help figure out what's wrong with him? He free ranges during the day and either roosts in the chicken coop or stays out on the arbor at night. The other 4 turkeys are not swollen, but my RP hen is feeling a little puny lately.

DSC04961.jpg

Quote:
I use the tylan 50 1cc per 10lbs body weight twice a day for a week. I have heard for mycoplas to spray the living areas with diluted bleach and water to kill the fungus among us. Make sure the birds are out in the yard

Quote:
I use the tylan 50 1cc per 10lbs body weight twice a day for a week. I have heard for mycoplas to spray the living areas with diluted bleach and water to kill the fungus among us. Make sure the birds are out in the yard

Is this the Tylan 50 you use? Just inject into the breast or what?

And darn it, wouldn't you know I JUST cleaned out the coop and put in fresh shavings.
barnie.gif

Quote:

Is this the Tylan 50 you use? Just inject into the breast or what?

And darn it, wouldn't you know I JUST cleaned out the coop and put in fresh shavings.
barnie.gif

yes it is. I had been injecting it but from now on i will shoot it down the birds throat.

It's likely caused by a virus, and the birds will remain carriers. I treated with Tylan 50, others say you need the 200. Please do not inject into the muscle, it can cause permanent muscle damage. I injected right into the sinus, someone in the peafowl section said that's dangerous. I think they injected under the skin between the wings? Either way, what you are seeing is from a seconday infection and that is what you are treating for. It could be from Mycoplasmosis, AI, a mechanical blockage, or a bunch of other things. The only way to know for sure is if you have the bird tested. Don't think I would worry about spraying the building, if it's a virus the bird will still be carrying it.

Just spoke w/ my vet on the phone and he said treat all poultry with tetracycline in their water for at least 1 week. If that doesn't work we'll come up with a more aggressive treatment.

Good luck! I have never heard of tetracycline actually working on sinus problems, maybe you'll be the first!

Back
Top Bottom