Turkey wonderings

fwunit114

In the Brooder
May 10, 2015
I am new to turkeys and I just picked up two royal palms 6 weeks old and I was wandering if they like to roam very far I free range my chickens I live secluded about 1500 feet off a road which u can't see because of the woods surrounding my house and you can't see any neighbors we have 35 acres but I have neighbors across the road about 1700 ft do you think I will have a problem with them visiting neighbors who probably will not be as excited about turkeys as I am.

Good question. I have a couple of new turkeys and a close neighbor on one side. I have a low fence just to keep the chickens forum wandering into his yard but not sure the turkeys will respect that. My neighbor is also one to shoot things, I'm worried he'll mistake them for wild turks. ( or at least say he did.). :-I

My turkeys are heritage and tend to fly a lot more than my free ranging chickens do. Not all of them, but some. Depends on the birds. We have a 4' fence and the turkeys will often fly over, sometimes onto the rooftop of our neighbor's homes. Fortunately, our neighbors are turkey-friendly.

I am new to turkeys as well, I have 13 little tykes still in the brooder, these little guys can fly. this AM i took off the top to their brooder and they flew on my couch several feet away. Upon my research and readings it states royals and slates which is what i have can and will fly, and can easily scale a 6 foot fence. I have an acre fenced with 6 foot chainlink and I am not risking them getting out.

In my yard my st bernard will not let anything in my yard like coons, skunks, possem, cats, she even barks at the black birds and runs them out LOL but she is old and over 11 years old and not so fast, so I got her backup the Pyrenees wow he really does not let anything around my livestock at all he even guards my ducks my st bernard only really payed attention to my sheep and she took no note of fowl or poultry. So in my situation all my animals are more safe inside my fence line.

Outside my fence line is very dangerous as there are individuals in a neighborhood that are behind the houses with acreage, so many wandering dogs, outside cats and underground fences that battery collars go unchecked. Plus a neighbor down the road has a mutt that likes to prey on my sheep the case and catch game. It tore a chunk in my small lamb, and I felt like a POS cause I didnt see it and i know that individual is irresponsible I should have been more careful when hubby opened the gate so I could pull my trailer out, thats the reason I got a younger guardian dog my st bernard just not as fast as she once was but when she got it she tore it a new A****** and sent it back home with a broken leg and wounds...

My choice is I have to clip to insure they do not get out, they are much safer in my yard..as long as I don't open my 10ft gate with a hiding predator waiting to sneak in and chase and kill. Its been a month since that happened so I am hoping she keeps it in check as i havent seen it, I know it got back to her that my husband was ready to shoot it but did not only because he was afraid he might hit my st bernard.

Back
Top Bottom