Turkey wont grow

Stella mon

Hatching
Jul 3, 2016
Hi, this is my first year that own turkeys. I currently have 30 turkey (commercial ones) and they are now 1 month and 2 weeks old. They are all the same size (tall and big) except for one turkey. He is so small, he is the same size as the pheasants. Standing up, his head is at the other turkeys' legs. The turkeys trampled all over him and pushed him aside. The small turkey even sleep standing up unlike others who sleep on the straws.

i don't know what is causing this. I looked everywhere over the internet to see what could be the problem. I hope someone here could enlightened me on the subject.

For now I put up a fences to separate the small turkey fr the bigger ones so he could eat and drink properly.

Thank you

There's probably something wrong with it. It happens, it will probably eventually die, whether it's some internal like organ failure or something like an infection of some sort is hard to guess. Turkeys also can consumer thing that aren't good for them, I've read of a chicken with a crop full of string who eventually died from it. Without more specific symptoms everything is just guessing unfortunately. I had one a few years ago that stopped growing and died after a few weeks with about the same symptoms.

What does his crop feel like? If it's big and squishy, he probably has an impaction. If it's empty despite having food available, check his nostrils pronto and watch for signs of respiratory illness (sneezing, fatigue, inability to drink and eat normally). As soon as you notice a poult slowing down, pick it up and observe it closely for a nice long time because they don't like to express weakness in front of us but eventually won't be able to keep up the healthy act, and you'll probably catch it sneezing. You can also try upping his protein, b-vitamins and electrolytes to give him a boost. Also loves. Affection and snuggling actually makes a huge difference in a poult's immune system and drive to keep going, in my experience. Together, these may help the poult long enough for you to diagnose and treat his problem.

I had pretty good luck with using q-tips dipped in Visine to remove dried mucus from the clogged nostril. Four of my six new heritage poults came down with similar symptoms and suffered retarded growth. The sinus symptoms were minimal for a very long time and never advanced to the degree I've seen in older birds (the baggy pouches under the eyes, that sort of thing). Babies can't hack illness for long so the sooner you get this baby help, the better his chances are.

Hi, unfortunately for this poult, he passed away last Tuesday. However thanks for all the informations, I will keep on eyes on everyone else.

Do you know if this also apply to Muscovy ducks as well? I also have a smaller duck that don't seem to grow like the others.

Back
Top Bottom