Turkeys 101 - New To Turkeys (What Do I Need To Know?)

If you want show turkeys preorder at Porter's rare heritage turkeys
All my turkeys are from Porters, don't think they are all show quality. Not sure exactly what they look for in a turkey.

Also currently Porters only sells his breed choices, so I don't think you can specify breeds. You also need to order a minimum of 15.

All my turkeys are from Porters, don't think they are all show quality. Not sure exactly what they look for in a turkey.

Also currently Porters only sells his breed choices, so I don't think you can specify breeds. You also need to order a minimum of 15.
I think you're right but they are impressive and I don't know how you take care of a show bird but I'm sure you could keep them nice and tidy. I am disappointed about him selling only his breed selections because I would want to get specific varieties. I think it's great news though that he imported the recessive slate finally. Is anyone getting any?

I am new to turkeys, hatched 11 from four breeds last June. I have a pair of Royal Palms I am keeping and yes they are a smaller heritage breed. I also hear midget whites are smaller. Not sure where you are located but I am in northwest Washington state and asked my two connections and one has several Royal Palms 2 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 months old and another has blue slate turkeys 2 weeks to 2 1/2 months old and it's mid October!!! I would suggest getting on facebook and looking for a local poultry group or Turkey group. One national group is Heritage Turkey Hobbyist in my region is PNW Turkeys and Washington PNW Rare breed Poultry. These are all facebook groups where you get newbies, serious hobbyists and people that have larger operations. I hatched two bourbon red turkeys, they are a popular breed and I loved their personality but I know the coloration of mine would not have been show quality. Starting with hatchlings was fun because they are personable but they are more fragile and need to be kept out of a chill longer than chickens and they fly early!!!

Anyone else hatching turkeys now? I have 4 in the bator due Nov 1st..... this is my first time hatching turkeys so I am excited. I have eggs from bbw hen covered by a bourbon red tom, I am hoping for at least one tom and one hen but time will tell

"Encourage natural sterilization – Ultraviolet light from sunshine, the drying action of wind, the heat of summer, and the chill of winter are all detrimental to the survival of H. meleagridis. Any natural weathering process that breaks down poultry manure – and therefore the hospitable niche of the blackhead pathogen – should be encouraged. H. meleagridis requires moisture to survive and spread, and moving the flock to dry ground makes the spread of blackhead more difficult."

Does this mean DE would be a good idea to sprinkle in their living areas?
also, can you free range turkeys? I assume they'd want to roost in trees, but will they wander away or get lost?

Where do turkeys lay their eggs? My immature hen (bourbon red) is dropping eggs everywhere. She has twice dropped them from perch 20’ up in tree and 3 times in poop hammock. Do I need to add something she isn’t finding as appropriate nesting spot?

Where do turkeys lay their eggs? My immature hen (bourbon red) is dropping eggs everywhere. She has twice dropped them from perch 20’ up in tree and 3 times in poop hammock. Do I need to add something she isn’t finding as appropriate nesting spot?
It is not unusual with first time layers to drop their egg from wherever they are at the time the urge comes on them.

The simplest method to provide a nesting area for a turkey is to lean a pallet up against a wall. A wide "board" can also work.
full

Back
Top Bottom