Turkeys and chickens getting along????

Use caution having tom turkeys with chickens in the spring. If the tom mounts a chicken hen, it ends very badly for the hen.

Use caution having tom turkeys with chickens in the spring.  If the tom mounts a chicken hen, it ends very badly for the hen. 

I just read something about this a few days ago, some people that responded didn't seem to believe it. I plan on keeping them separate unless I am outside with them. They are not happy even this many days later. They wouldn't eat at first. Rosie, can fly over the chicken fence if I let them out. Chuck can't. I'm curious. I must not be a turkey person because I'm asking myself why I have them. They seem to be more pet like than the chickens but I have to keep them penned up. I'm considering finding them a home but don't want them eaten. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I DON'T LET ANIMALS LIKE TURKEYS BECOME A CLOSE PET. I knew better.

I beleive it because I lost a few hens that way before I figured out what was going on. During breeding season, toms have been known to mount anything, even a bucket. Chickens aren't made to have a large bird climb on top of them and stomp on them.

I beleive it because I lost a few hens that way before I figured out what was going on.  During breeding season, toms have been known to mount anything, even a bucket.  Chickens aren't made to have a large bird climb on top of them and stomp on them. 

What do you do with your turkeys? Are they for pets or do you raise them to eat? I believe it could happen. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw Rosie just walk over and stomp the dusting hens. Recently I saw Chuck do what I thought was a mating dance, but Rosie wasn't anywhere near.

Some are pets, some are for eating. I have one Regal Red tom, I can tell him apart from the rest so he will never be dinner. The White Hollands look alike so they are easier to think of eating, but I only have one tom and 4 hens for those. I also have 2 Broad Breasted hens so I want to cross them with my White Holland and see if I can start a strain that are midway between BB type and heritage for eating.

what about clipping one of Rosie's wings so she can't fly over the fence?

We are overdue but we do clip 1 wing. It doesn't work long and she's back over. They are both contained for the tie. Rosie's not too happy. We try to let her out when we are home and outside. We've just gotten 15 in of snow. It will be hard going for them.

I just read something about this a few days ago, some people that responded didn't seem to believe it. I plan on keeping them separate unless I am outside with them. They are not happy even this many days later. They wouldn't eat at first. Rosie, can fly over the chicken fence if I let them out. Chuck can't. I'm curious. I must not be a turkey person because I'm asking myself why I have them. They seem to be more pet like than the chickens but I have to keep them penned up. I'm considering finding them a home but don't want them eaten. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I DON'T LET ANIMALS LIKE TURKEYS BECOME A CLOSE PET. I knew better.
I am so sorry for your troubles, and I am sure everything will turn out for the best. I have not experienced any of the troubles you are experiencing, my turkeys are peckish and always looking for a fight, but I have never observed any of my toms trying to stomp or force mount my chooks. Though my midget white tom is pretty fond of my feet, especially in flip-flops...In general my toms have been a fantastic asset to my tiny backyard urban "farm". They keep away the resident red tails, break up fights between the roos, and best of all, they keep snot nosed little kids outta my yard! I hope you find those docile turkeys that many of us own, because when they're sweet, they are a pleasure to have around. I would advise against breeding your mean hen, less you get a future of 10-15 chicken stompers. Royal Palms are a light breed and as such, they have feisty, active personalities, I find midget whites to be a little mellower, and at least a little slower. I hope this helps, best of luck.

I beleive it because I lost a few hens that way before I figured out what was going on. During breeding season, toms have been known to mount anything, even a bucket. Chickens aren't made to have a large bird climb on top of them and stomp on them.

Toms will attempt to mount anything is really right. One man I knew had his tom mount his head while he was bent down fixing a hole in his fence. Poor guy got his cheeks ripped by the tom's spurs.

Because I have enough hens to keep my tom interested he does not bother the chickens at all except for my Cornish rooster. The rooster is always the instigator and ends up with all of the turkeys going after him at the same time. He is not completely stupid so he dashes throught the doggie type door and keeps the fight going through the door. One of these days he will become soup.

One of my girlfriends recently had her midget white tom (who is a beautiful bird, by the way) mount her croc while she was out in the yard doing her chicken chores! It was like... ewww.

Which brings me to another question... do the toms ever take on the "hen" role and go broody? We have one midget white "tom" who is 8 months old (our 2 hens are about 9-1/2 months old). Our "tom" has a beard, as do most toms. But he does not display except for on rare occasions and does not ever "drum" or act aggressively toward anyone else in our flock (we have 40 hens, 8 roosters, 2 turkey hens, and 1 turkey tom--the turkeys are all midget whites). The "tom" seems to want to sit on eggs. What the heck? Then he "displayed" to my husband when he tried to pull said tom off the nest. What's up with THAT? We have a "tom" midget white and a hen we call a "milkie" (part marans, part silkie). They sit together on the nest, and when we try to break the "milkie" of her broodiness and pull her off, the "tom" midget white takes her eggs! Now, I wouldn't think he was a "tom" if he didn't have this ginormous beard.

Do tom turkeys tend to sit on eggs? Inquiring minds want to know!

Back
Top Bottom