Turkeys and medicated feed.

Lu King

Songster
11 Years
Dec 9, 2008
On the Titanic
I do not want my family to eat a turkey that has been fed medicated feed. How many days or weeks should I get them off the medicated feed before the turkeys can be eaten without the medicated feed in their system?

Is it okay to just allow turkeys to range feed ? Do they have to have anything else to be healthy?

I have five turkeys that are about 3-1/2 months old, and seven that are about 2 or so months old. They are Bonze and Spanish Black.

You don't need to feed them medicated feeds at all. There is alot of natural methods to use that work very well and their is no need for medicated feeds. I would take them off the the med feed now and let them free range if you can or at least get out in the grass when they can.

Just put 1-2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per 1 gallon of drinking water for all your birds. This will eliminate the need for med feeds all together and it will keep all the algae clean out of your drinkers.

Quote:
According to the feed we use it's a 30 day withdrawl time. We feed medicated feed for about the first 4 to 5 months depending on how they are growing out. Once they go out with the flocks the feed isn't medicated. The medication in the feed is a coccistat once the poults get older they will develop a resistance to it and don't need it.

Steve in NC

Thanks a lot for your responses.
smile.png

Quote:
Actually I ate couple of my Roos chickens last year while they were still on medicated feed.. They were giving me a problem in the evening time when trying to put them up.. So my 22 stopped their nonsense...

I'm still here... and the birds tasted really good..

As for range feeding... I have a large hanging feeder in their houses for my birds chickens and turkeys, and let them range during the day..

I probably could cut them back though since they are range feeding..

If your medicated feed only contains amprolium, you can eat them no problem, as it is a cocciosidant that just inhibits uptake of thiamine in the cocci protozoa.

However, if your feed contains some other cocci med, the 30 day withdraw time is often recommended in case the consumer is allergic to sulfa based drugs that are commonly used.

Actually I ate couple of my Roos chickens last year while they were still on medicated feed.. They were giving me a problem in the evening time when trying to put them up.. So my 22 stopped their nonsense...

Awesome. Three cheers for nonsense stopping!​

Back
Top Bottom