turkeys are piping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicks for better health, Apr 23, 2009.

1. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    I just checked on my bourbon red eggs, there are two pips. I'm excited, these will be my first turkey poults. i am a little nervous that I will mess something up.

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Congratulations!!! Make sure the humidity is ok bc they can easily dry out.... Keep us posted and good luck with the rest!!!

3. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    Oh man i cant wait either, i am hatching turkeys also. they are due in 2 weeks or so. what has your temp and humidity been at? good luck and take pics! [​IMG]

4. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    MUST Show Pics after they hatch [​IMG] [​IMG] Love those Babies!!!!

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    My turkey eggs are being send out tomorrow. I can't wait. Don't forget pics. I can't wait to see that turkey babies look like. And what do you call turkey babies?

6. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    I've got 4 turkeys in the hatcher as well going on day 27. No pips so far but 1 was rolling around earlier. I've only hatched 1 turkey before, he did dry out and I had to help him a little bit so I'm really nervous about these!!! I try to keep chicken eggs at 65%, should it be the same for turkeys or should I up it a little bit? I guess I'll spend all day tomorrow glued to the bator window... [​IMG]

7. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    It is supposed to be raised the last couple days of incubation. This prevents dry out.

8. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    what should the humidity be? its 79% right now

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  9. Scraps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    I keep my chicken eggs at 40-50 for the first 18 days, then shoot for 65 for the last 3 days. Since my 1 and only turkey was dry at 65 I'll try for 70% on this batch...wish me luck [​IMG]

10. Scraps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    Quote:79% seems high to me but I'm a turkey noob....good luck with your babies, post pics when they hatch!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by