Turkeys as pets :) <3

Oh man they're beautiful! I wouldn't really care too much about color. Yours are all incredible! I would just want something fun with some personality and something not bred specifically for meat if that's an option. My pekins got WAY too fat WAY too fast and we're trying to get it under control now. I take my ducks for a walk every evening haha!
It's long term thinking for sure. I don't want the turkeys while I have my ducks, but maybe down the road.
I see! You should get some though sometime seriously :) I highly recommend the black they are beautiful! And the blues :) here's my lavender tom, and he has a blue slate hen with him :) these two breeds; the blue and black are beautiful! And then you just wanna raise them the nicest you can :) I'll help with that when you need it cause mine are pets!! Haha. I also have ducks; four actually one drake and three female ducks :) my drake is a white Pekin named Aflac I love him so much and have been treating him for a severe case of bumble! He's a big heavy guy haha but so strong! And then I have three females a blue Swedish named Quackers a khaki Campbell named Wiggles and a welsh harlequin named Bubbles :) love them all!

Attachments

• IMG_1273.PNG
    IMG_1273.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1274.PNG
    IMG_1274.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4695.JPG
    IMG_4695.JPG
    503.6 KB · Views: 7
I see! You should get some though sometime seriously :) I highly recommend the black they are beautiful! And the blues :) here's my lavender tom, and he has a blue slate hen with him :) these two breeds; the blue and black are beautiful! And then you just wanna raise them the nicest you can :) I'll help with that when you need it cause mine are pets!! Haha. I also have ducks; four actually one drake and three female ducks :) my drake is a white Pekin named Aflac I love him so much and have been treating him for a severe case of bumble! He's a big heavy guy haha but so strong! And then I have three females a blue Swedish named Quackers a khaki Campbell named Wiggles and a welsh harlequin named Bubbles :) love them all!
Awwwwww!!!! My drakes name is Alfalfa! Then his ladies are Lucy, Tinkerbell and Lil Derp.
Tinkerbell messed up her leg somehow, then got bumflefoot on the other so we had that adventure a few months ago. She's still limping but the sores are gone.
Lucy has recently started finding metal pieces in our yard and swallowing them, so that's been a whole different adventure.

Awwwwww!!!! My drakes name is Alfalfa! Then his ladies are Lucy, Tinkerbell and Lil Derp.
Tinkerbell messed up her leg somehow, then got bumflefoot on the other so we had that adventure a few months ago. She's still limping but the sores are gone.
Lucy has recently started finding metal pieces in our yard and swallowing them, so that's been a whole different adventure.
Oh wow!!! Bad Lucy! Haha! Sounds like trouble makers. Here's Aflac today when he had to do his soaks and bubbles too :)

Attachments

• IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    609.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1289.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG
    499.6 KB · Views: 4
I really want a snugly bird and I currently have 3 Orpingtons and 1 Wyandotte but they aren't interested in being lap chickens. So I've been thinking of selling them and getting a new flock (Jersey, Cochin, Brahma, Silkie) but I've seen some people with pet turkeys and am wondering if turkeys would be better lap birds? Suggestions on heritage breeds? How noisy are the hens vs chickens? Where would be a good place to get sexed babies (PDX)? Thank you!

I really want a snugly bird and I currently have 3 Orpingtons and 1 Wyandotte but they aren't interested in being lap chickens. So I've been thinking of selling them and getting a new flock (Jersey, Cochin, Brahma, Silkie) but I've seen some people with pet turkeys and am wondering if turkeys would be better lap birds? Suggestions on heritage breeds? How noisy are the hens vs chickens? Where would be a good place to get sexed babies (PDX)? Thank you!
Chickens and turkeys can both make good lap birds if you really take the time and dedication to work with them and handle them from young. I have chickens and turkeys that love attention and people because I put all my effort into making them pets and making them friendly from babies. Turkeys are beautiful birds and can really be so sweet if you handle them a lot and get them to that stage. Mine love to follow me and be pet etc. I think the blacks are good, or the blue slates, or maybe even royal palms. They are all great and beautiful. The hens aren't too noisy, they have their voice and little chirps haha and can be noisy at times but they really aren't bad. My hens aren't too noisy. And do you mean like online hatcheries for sexed poults?

Chickens and turkeys can both make good lap birds if you really take the time and dedication to work with them and handle them from young. I have chickens and turkeys that love attention and people because I put all my effort into making them pets and making them friendly from babies. Turkeys are beautiful birds and can really be so sweet if you handle them a lot and get them to that stage. Mine love to follow me and be pet etc. I think the blacks are good, or the blue slates, or maybe even royal palms. They are all great and beautiful. The hens aren't too noisy, they have their voice and little chirps haha and can be noisy at times but they really aren't bad. My hens aren't too noisy. And do you mean like online hatcheries for sexed poults?
Online or local store, either way. I don't have an incubator to hatch my own, hubby won't let me get one, probably fears that we would be overrun with chicks in no time. He's probably right.

Back
Top Bottom