Turkeys as pets -- best breed?

Denninmi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
I realize this is a subjective thing, the answer is going to vary from person to person.

I currently have chickens and ducks. Other than the eggs, they are just pets, and spoiled at that.

I really want turkeys. I think they are just beautiful birds.

But, what breed?

Definitely, one of the heirloom breeds, as they are healthier and happier overall, from what I've gathered.

Michigan, if that makes a difference in terms of hardiness or anything?

I was looking at Royal Palms, I think they are just beautiful, but am, open to suggestions.

Thanks.

palms are good, midget whites. but I found it seams to be better if you have 2 toms, yes they will fight a little in spring but when the hens go broody, they have each other and don't go attacking kids, cars, or anything else

Nice to see you post again Steve. He is right. Check out the diffrent breeds. We are in Michigan too and have Bourbon Reds and Sweetgrass. They both did fine last winter.

frow.gif

Ive heard royal palms wander off alot but i dont have first hand experience with them. I like bourbon reds, bronzes, narri's and the palms. Not a big fan of the blue slates. Anything that catches your eye will do! I have a red bronze, red palm, and bronze hen.

Good to know! I am glad you posted this... I have been wanting turkeys for a while, but have to convince the rest of the household they want turkeys too. Does anyone have issues with them picking on chickens? I have about a half acre set aside strictly for the chickens to free range. Any turkeys added in would share with them (and the guard dog
smile.png
) would this be a problem? I would have to build a turkey coop, however one does that (do turkeys even live in coops?) but is it ok to let about 25 chickens and half a dozen turkeys live together?
This will definatly be a next year project at the earliest, so don't worry that I am impulsivly jumping into this knowing as little as I do. Right now I am simply gathering information to see if I can have them, given my situation.

i have seen turkeys and chickens live free range together fine and i have also seen them cooped together with silkies and pigeons. not my house. i would recommend getting poults and bringing them up from young regardless of the breed. as far as palms go, i love mine but i have to say my palm tom is much more high strung than his bronze tom neighbor during breeding season. but when looking at egg production, the palms have it hands down. i'm interested in getting some bourbon reds, blue slates, narri's, chocolates, and spanish blacks

Our personal preference...but then the Bourbon Reds are the only turkeys we have ever raised...so far.
wink.png

1280_dsc04691.jpg

1280_dsc04690.jpg

All we have to do sit down outside and she comes and gets into our lap and takes a nap.

Back
Top Bottom